New engine for 505 turbo

V-M

Some update on situation: Dyno day was ordered on next friday (18th) but sadly I have to cancel that :(

I did some check outs on engine after runing 750km with it. Oil was looking okay (Valvoline 20W-50 racing)

and filter I did not open yet (I'll do it later).

So I did put pressure directly in cylinder with compressor to listen if there is leagage on some where... And there was. Air was coming out on inlet side :unsure: in all cylinders. Okay then I measured pressure in all cylinders starting from front 8, 9.2, 8.2, 5 -> not nice! I added oil on cyl, nearly no change. So easy quess was at valves are bend.

Head of and there was clear markings in all cylinders in BOTH valve side.

So "back to the drawning board", I open whole engine cause also those shity oil rings are no good.

There was some small scratches on cyl wall which are caused by those oil rings.

I'll also have to do some turbo work, when I opened that exh. side of DP -> this "flap" of wastegate was fallen of :o

More info and maybe some pictures when work continues...

V-M

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Damn - that's really unfortunate... (I had the dyno day on my calendar!)

I guess that's part of the rocky road to building such a beastly engine... I hope that progress continues and you can have the issues resolved in short order. Hopefully nothing is fatal....

Are you OK for parts replacement?

Rabin

Damn - that's really unfortunate... (I had the dyno day on my calendar!)

I guess that's part of the rocky road to building such a beastly engine... I hope that progress continues and you can have the issues resolved in short order. Hopefully nothing is fatal....

Are you OK for parts replacement?

Rabin

Part side there is no problems, only limitation is first time then comes money :unsure: First is not easy to solve (two small kids 5y and 3y, own house and day work) second one time will solve. But I managet to get new time in this year side 19th of December. So that is nexl goal if I find suitable oil rings, luckily I did also find new set of those volvo 96mm pistons if there is anything wrong with those. I ordered some new parts for turbo yesterday and got them today. I'll try to have new rings in friday.

I desided to use in next setup original dani head and my different cam -> specially made: 272 inlet and 282 exh with 110 lobe and lift is 7.8mm in cam.

But I'll keep you informed and if there is motivation I'll take some picture also about failures.

V-M

what rings did you use?

Goetze were manufacturer, I have use them many times but these 3 part oil rings were way differend and difficult to install compared earlier ones (also 3 part ones).

V-M

Okay, here is update in current situation. Actually more bad news :o

I did clean all parts troughtly after machining but there must be some place in engine where this machining dirt was hiding. This was taken out from main axcel -> Dirt

And that was causing this -> Bearings

And scratches in cylinder -> Cyl

So more cleaning to be done and and this favourite part -> finding new axcel bearings starts (0.1mm over size) :(

New piston ring set ordered, this time Hepolite ones (I'm not sure if I use current top ones and only change this crappy oil ring).

Main axcel was looking ok, eaven bearings were so bad.

I hope at sun will shine (some day) on my side :unsure:

V-M

OBS: there is some more pictures on my site

• 4 weeks later...

So... I'd have to move dyno time again. Con rod bearings missing :angry: new time 19. january 2006.

Main axel polised in grinder shop.

And a lot other things to do during "this" time of year. :D

Just bought new set of injectors (750cc/3bar) and discussing to buy of TDO4-16T(G7) but eaven it's cheap

I'll think to keep my old fassioned TO3 trim60 (it feel when it will "get going") B)

V-M

750cc @ 3bar? B)

what fuel pump are you planning on running? and how are your titanium drivetrain parts coming along? :angry: hehehe

all sounds good V-M, can't wait to see those dyno results. take pictures, and video's with sound if you can!! :D

Naa... probably not for this car (those injectors) just teasing (but I did buy them) :D But I'll stop now and consentrate on building when ever I have time.

V-M

so just cuerious, but when you made your exhaust manifold, did you tune the lenght of each pipe? or how exactley did you set it up.

My opinion about this pipe length optimising in turbo car is totally waste of time and money... yeah it looks nice etc... In long pipe gases will cool and loose energy, increase lag, more heat in engine bay etc... Short and compact is best. Maybe if I try to take everything out (~200hp/cyl) then it could make a difference. IMHO

V-M

• 7 months later...

Dyno is done today and OFFCAUSE result is disapointing as usually :)

So setup is Original boxes for ingnition and L-jet etc... boost is 1bar.

Fuel was 102oct racing fuel and this new shell 99+ mixture.

advance was only 4deg in 900rpm and 34deg in 4000rpm due knoking on full boost.

New headgasget (full copper and 1.4mm thickness) is coming in friday and in winter time

MegaSquirt installation takes place.

Pictures of dynosheets are there -> http://peugeot505.info/forum/viewtopic.php...sc&start=45

V-M

interesting, so:

163.2kw = 218.85whp

403.5nm = 291.81 lb ft. torque

am i reading the columns in the dyno chart right?

V-M: what are the specs of the motor? your running the large pistons, danielson (somewhat) converted head, giant turbo, and danielson cam? what about fuel, and spark plugs?

are you planning on another run any time soon? its fun seeing a 505 on the dyno again :)

Disappointing? Looks pretty good to me when you consider how much untapped potential is in it if an untuned engine running less timing is putting out those numbers!

Almost 300 ft*lbs would be a hoot to drive - and hopefully with better control and more tuning you can get the numbers you were hoping for.

I'm curious about the specs for the head gasket though - are you going with anything in particular - or is it just bare copper and a spray on coating?

I still have to get around to doing up the HG on ACAD, but I'm going to leave it till I pick up the used 2.3 Turbo pistons in a couple weeks. (I'm going to Road America Aug 17-20 to catch the ALMS race - and I pick up the pistons then.)

interesting, so:

163.2kw = 218.85whp

403.5nm = 291.81 lb ft. torque

am i reading the columns in the dyno chart right?

V-M: what are the specs of the motor? your running the large pistons, danielson (somewhat) converted head, giant turbo, and danielson cam? what about fuel, and spark plugs?

are you planning on another run any time soon? its fun seeing a 505 on the dyno again :D

Corrected wheel power is 159.2kW

torgue is that

cam is not dani cam, it has bit less angle than dani but 0.2mm more lift than dani.

Noo... that's not Giant turbo :) I'll take some pictures of my "new" one which I install during winter time

then u will see Giant :) Head is original dani and sparkplugs are those C8E (normal dani plugs)

Fuel was this Neste racing fuel +100oct and Shell Vpower 99+ mixture 50/50

Pistons were those 96mm Volvo turbo and head gasget was original.

New dyno is not done before next summer B) No interest to make those changes now (have to build some house extension cause kids are grouwing and I need my movie "theatre" also) B)

V-M

Disappointing? Looks pretty good to me when you consider how much untapped potential is in it if an untuned engine running less timing is putting out those numbers!

Almost 300 ft*lbs would be a hoot to drive - and hopefully with better control and more tuning you can get the numbers you were hoping for.

I'm curious about the specs for the head gasket though - are you going with anything in particular - or is it just bare copper and a spray on coating?

I still have to get around to doing up the HG on ACAD, but I'm going to leave it till I pick up the used 2.3 Turbo pistons in a couple weeks. (I'm going to Road America Aug 17-20 to catch the ALMS race - and I pick up the pistons then.)

Yes, this set up should do 300hp on engine. But of cause cam adjustment was effecting a lot on this hp reading -> 6deg in later is much for cam. And original ing.curves are not desingned for this kind of setup.

but I like to find limits for original systems before I'll customice that section of car.

So better cam adjustment should lead to +70kW to this dyno results in 6000rpm. So then total should be

bit over 300hp on engine and ~270hp on wheels. And aim is also to have around 450-480Nm torgue.

cause if calculated on "bang for the buck" not so bad, whole building engine in this stage has cost ~800e

New gasket is coming from where is racing gasgets are done also and it's bare copper and I'll use also this HTS high temp copper gasget cement (spray glue). Gasget was costing 160e and spray 11e so total

budget is close to 1000e, so car buying price and these modifications are aroung 4000-4500 total now including chassis parts etc...

only external work has been machinerys needed for engine.

I tested also driveability and 230km/h was easy and nice to drive and didnt take much time from 0-200km/h

but cause on this leaking gasget I didn't put more speed and pressure on turbo than was in dyno -> 1.0Bar

V-M

That sounds great V-M!

Once you finish up the build it's going to be AWESOME. It'll be most interesting to see what MS does for these cars as well.

I'm still waffling on whether to do MS or a modified Turbo Dodge system - but either way it should really wake up the engine with the new mods.

Now - to get moving on my build up. (I keep spending cash on my motorbike and it's prolonging the Pug build... Hard to part with the rush though so I thinking winter is much more realistic for the Pug mods!)

Rabin

• 8 months later...

I couple of weeks I should have space in my garage to start working with my "beast" some new toys found and to be installed. One is this SPEC cluch (stage3) http://picasaweb.google.com/vellumasa

And wideband lamda + Innovate LC-1 for transferring information to laptop.

Also did get on my hands dani head (yes again) so currently having 2 originals and one sef made danis. :lol:

V-M

• 1 year later...

Finally head gasget have arrived... It did take bit long to arrive.

Here is info about manufacturer (they are also manufactoring Ferrari Modena pistons for ferrari factory):

Thats also one option to make new pistons for N9T engine, but cost is 170e/pcs

www.pistonispeciali.it

www.navalineasport.it

In top is gasget with rings and below is gasget skin without rings (just for future needs).

Rings are reusable ones.

Price was bit over 280e for that set

V-M

post-43-1223720442.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Car is now fixed. Engine works nicely and roaring like lion should :-) I have to do inspection first to drive it on roads (not done that in 2 years). And then do some driving and then starting to put those real power parts on places...

- Innovate wide band lamda

- 633cc injectors

- megasquirt adjustable mapping (injectors and ignition)

etc...

V-M