Victoresque approach

N9TE

So I bought another 505 turbo.

1986 N9TE turbo 5sp. blue/blue. No ABS.

A little rough. Body *desparately* needs a buffing and paint correction. It will be a real test for my Menzerna and PC. Assorted electrical issues. Sunroof works surprisingly well. Blue leather seats out of a pre-86 car ;). Engine runs surprisingly well. No leaks, doesn't consume coolant (I think).

It's interesting to see what's works slightly differently on that car opposed to my 87. Much softer ride. Car starts *instantly*. I didn't know they could do that! HVAC is better than mine even though I replaced my blower motor with a brand-new OEM unit.

The car definately needs my OCD attention to detail. Had this car gone to a regular guy owner, it would probably not be long for this world. I'm pretty sure I can bring it back.

Oh yeah, $400. Pretty good deal and the best part is I don't have to drive a Toyota when I bring my 87 off-line. :D

Nice find Koll... Surprised it took you this long to realize you need more than one. The next one will be way easier... ;)

Seriously - it's pretty amazing when you think of how much bang for the buck you're getting for $400! Enjoy it - and I can't wait to see the before and after pics (hint hint). Your OCD is legendary - but in a good way for the Peugeot! I hope you can save the blue paint - I find it's one of the nicest colours on the 505 Turbos.

So now that you have a DD - what's the agenda for the 87?

Rabin

• 3 weeks later...

The results on the paint are FANTASTIC! Really impressed to say the least. You'll have to do another photo shoot after she's been restored.

A lot of these cars have the failing clear coat - which is what yours looks like too - was yours gone and the restoration is of the base paint? Or was the clear coat so oxidized that you were able to restore it?

My 85' Turbo suffers from this on the top surfaces as well - so it would be nice to be able to restore the paint rather than have to deal with a re-spray.

BTW - I fixed your link as it wasn't quite working as it was.

Rabin

The results on the paint are FANTASTIC! Really impressed to say the least. You'll have to do another photo shoot after she's been restored.

A lot of these cars have the failing clear coat - which is what yours looks like too - was yours gone and the restoration is of the base paint? Or was the clear coat so oxidized that you were able to restore it?

Rabin

As strange as it sounds, I don't think the clear has failed - just faded. When clear fails, it gone - as in not there anymore. It looks real blotchy. When you've seen clear go away, you know it.

I pulled the plastic drip rail covers as someone here suggested and of couse, under there, you'll find the true color. Same deal. On post 86 505, www.paintscratch.com will tell you if you've got a clear. Evidently mine - indigo blue (nice color) is a clear. Although it migh be a respray as a lot of color was coming off on the pad. Or, it could have been the world's best total clearcoat failure! Take some pictures if your areas and post them. Do you have a buffing machine? (Hand buffing is not recommended these days).

My clear definitely failed as it's just the top surfaces that are really faded, and as it transitions to the verticle surfaces there's 1-2" of flaking clear, then the shiny grey...

I was hoping I could remove the flaking clear, polish out the base colour, then re-clear... Not sure if that's possible though. The guy that x-cote'd my V70R is a paint restoration genious so I'm going to get his opinion. He has some samples of stuff he pulled out of junk yards and re-did half to show his results and they're pretty impressive.

My 86 will definitely get a proper respray at some point, but the 85' isn't worth it - although the body is in damn nice shape.

Rabin