Stranded...

peculiar33

Okay. I have had to park the 505. The right front strut tower has failed (rusted through). I know these things are extremely rare, but if anyone has a set they can part with, or knows of someone who does, I am in dire need. Thanks everyone.

btw: I finally found my camera :)post-307-1205275996.jpgpost-307-1205276029.jpg

Your best bet is to find some in the wreckers from somewhere south... There've been some links and contact info for some wrecking yards in Cali - so hopefully you can find some through there.

You might also want to try online parts finder - I just tried it and got quite a few hits for struts.

Hopefully you can find a used set for a decent price close by.

Another option is to pull them and have the rest of the spring perches machined off (or have at it with an angle grinder) and then get some coil over collars put on. Spring rate at the front is ~ 100 lbs - so you could get some springs to fit. The top would be a bit more difficult - but not too bad.

Rabin

Struts from any 505 will fit up to 87' (has to be the one piece strut and hub assembly) - but the turbo struts have a different camber built into them. Not critical - but so you know.

The turbo's also have different internals and damping settings - so if you use lesser 505 front strut the car will ride a bit on the soft side - just make sure to at least use the turbo springs.

Hopefully you'll find a replacement from a turbo though. If you do end up getting different ones - I'd be interested in the rusted ones - I just want the internals.

Rabin

I have George from Sunset Coachmen looking for something that can be made to work. Calls have also been made to several recyclers in NC and AL. We shall see. I am looking at the FSM, and there are two different procedures for removing and refitting these. Do I have the detachable swivel bearing? I'll keep you in mind Bean, should be no problem if I can get this thing back on the road. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

As a matter of fact, it went in yesterday. I ended up getting the STi struts from Texas, and they are going to swap the springs and inserts from the dead turbo struts. Also getting new tie rod ends, sway bar bushings, and brakes. That should pretty much do it for the front end. I'll get more pics when I get it back and have a chance to wash it.