Changing FPR

peculiar33

Alright. I got everything put back together, triple checked all of my fittings and connections, and fired her up. It started on the first try. I let it warm up, set the idle speed and mixture and it idles like a sewing machine. However, I took the car out to test the results of my work, and it has the same sputter as before, only it is now more pronounced. It is like the engine chokes under load. In neutral, it pulls smoothly all the way to the redline. Could there be a problem with the turbo?

What kind of boost are you seeing when it starts to sputter? There is an overboost protection circuit that will cut in if you're overboosting...

You'll need to be really specific when describing the issue. RPM's. throttle position, gear - enough info that we could get in your car and duplicate the issue.

Rabin

It becomes noticeable about 2000 rpm or so, but the higher the rpm the more abrupt the sensation. The turbo is spooled up, but it is nowhere near full boost. I swear it still feels like it is running rich, but I did the idle mixture by the book and got a steady 7-7.2V. It hiccups in all gears, pretty much about 30% throttle and above. New O2 sensor just installed. It's just weird.

ABS...

I have ABS also, maybe I have small hands. :)

It becomes noticeable about 2000 rpm or so, but the higher the rpm the more abrupt the sensation. The turbo is spooled up, but it is nowhere near full boost. I swear it still feels like it is running rich, but I did the idle mixture by the book and got a steady 7-7.2V. It hiccups in all gears, pretty much about 30% throttle and above. New O2 sensor just installed. It's just weird.

Have you tried checking the timing?

I'd agree with Johnny and advise to check your timing. I'd also suggest making sure that all the turbo to intake hoses are nice and tight. You also might want to check the o-rings on the cast turbo pipe to make sure they're in nice shape so you're not getting any leakage.

Do you have a boost gauge? If it were me I'd want to verify the wastegate is opening properly just to be safe. I use a small hand bike pump that I attach directly to the wastegate that has a built in gauge. Not the most accurate unit - but I get a good idea of the pressure it's openning at.

Rabin

I am thinking that august is probably right. I went and dropped $50 on a timing light (needed one anyway) and timing is now set 10deg @ 910 rpm. Voltage on terminal #22 averages 7.2, however it does not hold. It fluctuates from 6.6V to 7.5V in rather large jumps. I am still going to check the wastegate with the tire pump (found a foot pump in the garage with a guage). The car is doing better, but it still cuts out when you get on it. It hiccups and then resumes accelerating. There seems to be a slight miss at idle too. Any ideas where I can find an AFM?