505 Turbo ENGINE TYPES (?)

<_< I'm the proud owner of a 1987 Peugeot 505 Turbo (Gas). I recently suffered under the hands of an "inexperienced mechanic" (to put it lightly) and now I have several leaks. you name it, all seals leak!

So, i was trying to shop for a SEAL-KIT but I'm not sure WHICH engine type I have. Anyone, any ideas on how to find out exactly which engine I have? This might be a very STUPID question for most of you, but I'm stuck on it. :blink: Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Cordially,

David

Hi David, and welcome to the forum.

It's an N9TE - that's the engine code.

Where is it leaking from? Any chance the PCV system has been plugged at all? (Hose that goes from the valve cover to the intake hose if it's still hooked up...

Any other details on the work that was done?

Rabin

wow.. that was fast! Thanks for the reply!!! honestly!

Well, to make a very long story short, I bought this car running just fine. But then this "mechanic" diagnosed transmission problems. I happened to find a 'wreck-car" exactly like mine, which was mechanically fine, only it had severe body damage. So I bought it (the whole car) to use it as spare parts. This "mechanic" supposely removed the engine & transmission from the 2nd. peugeot and put it on mine. But, he couldn't get the "right seal-kit" so he "micky-moused it" using who knows what type of sealant.

Now, Engine leaks oil, Transmission leaks oil, I even got broken hoses leaking power stearing liquid... I HATE this guy!!!

So, now the car is sitting at another mechanic's house (a ood guy from Rumania) who sounds like he knows what he's doing. He is willing to drop the engine, transmission, everything and start from scratch if I can get the proper SEAL KIT. That's why I was trying to find out which engine I had..

Sorry for the long story...

I live in the US and it is sooooo hard to get parts for my Peugeot. I SERIOUSLY LOVE my 505 and I would hate to give it up. I'm willing to spend ANY money to get it back in shape.

Any ideas as where to get the right Seals??

thanks a bunch!

You guys ROCK!!!

David

Damn - thats terrible! But sadly finding a good person to work on your baby is usually way harder than getting the parts...

There's a list that was put together for Peugeotists for repair facilities across the States, as well as parts sources... www.jackstuff.com/peugfan/mechaniclist.html

Hopefully you find a place close to you. Places were compiled from input of other Peugeot owners... Suppliers you also might want to consider would be Rock Auto online - but when you support one of the guys on the list you get WAY better customer service if you need help with it.

Good luck!

Rabin

THANKS A MILLION Rabin!

I really appreciate all your input.

On more question if you don't mind: out of curiosity.. how do you know the engine type? by the year? and the fact that it is turbo, I guess? also, what is the Liter size? 2.2L/2.3L/2.4L?? Do you know?

Again, thanks for all your useful input!!!

cordially,

David <_<

The turbo motor's are all N9T**. 85's with no intercoolers were N9T, then the intercooler added in 86 became the N9TE, and then in 88' there was electronic boost control and it became N9TEA...

It's a 2.2L (2152cc I think) SOHC motor...

No problem David - and feel free to ask questions or get clarifications before getting you're car worked on. there's a LOT of knowledge on this forum and some really good people that are more than willing to help out...

Rabin

PS - post pics of your car too!

Wow.!!! that's very useful information!! Great! That's AWESOME!

You have no-idea how long I've been looking for this info you just sent in 2 seconds... effortless. SWEEEET!

I will post pics soon. No doubt!

David

The turbo motor's are all N9T**. 85's with no intercoolers were N9T, then the intercooler added in 86 became the N9TE, and then in 88' there was electronic boost control and it became N9TEA...

It's a 2.2L (2152cc I think) SOHC motor...

No problem David - and feel free to ask questions or get clarifications before getting you're car worked on. there's a LOT of knowledge on this forum and some really good people that are more than willing to help out...

Rabin

PS - post pics of your car too!

Its 2155cc. <_<

Wow.!!! that's very useful information!! Great! That's AWESOME!

You have no-idea how long I've been looking for this info you just sent in 2 seconds... effortless. SWEEEET!

I will post pics soon. No doubt!

David

You should be able to get a complete gasket kit at Western Hemispheres. www.westernhemispheres.com If you can't, drop me a PM and I'll see what I can shake loose.

A 1987 505 turbo has a N9TE engine which is referred to as the 2.2 L (2155cc) engine size. Also known as "VIN Code 7".

There was only one turbo motor. N9Txx. In 1985 there was no intercooler and the designation was "N9T". In 1986 they added an intercooler and it was called "N9TE". In 1988, then added an electronic boost controller and called it the "N9TEA". Mechanically all the N9T engines are the same with the (slight) differences surrounding the air/fuel system. No engine parts are interchangeable with non-turbo motors. The turbo motor is an entirely different engine that the other two normally aspirated engines available.

I take it you have an automatic transmission? Any reputable shop that services BMW and other European cars should be able to handle it. It's a ZF unit.

• 1 month later...
No engine parts are interchangeable with non-turbo motors. The turbo motor is an entirely different engine that the other two normally aspirated engines available.

Well.. none of the 2.2 engines in peugeots OWN model line.

The N9TXX engines are pretty much identical to the Talbot Tagora/Murena 2.2.

But I think that subject has been covered here somewhere :)