DIY Coil-over stuff...

Bean

Found this link after looking at the Rally Design site Slater mentioned...

Volvo 240 coil-over

I checked out Coleman racing that's linked in the article and they have everything you could imagine, even threaded collars that have perches to support the 5" springs for use in the rear... So I'm thinking you could weld in the threaded sleeves to the top of the spring perch out back, and use the collar to support the spring at the top giving it some adjustment.

It'd take a bit of figuring - but I think it's pretty doable...

Rabin

Hey Rabin,

I've done this kind of coil over conversion on a bunch of different cars over the years and they've all bee nvery successfull.

You can cut the threaded sleeve to fit (height) as needed. The biggest problem is coming up with a spring seat for the top, but usually that is easily fabricated from flat steel stock. In some cases the stock spring seat was simply cut down (O.D) to size.

Cars I've done this on: Mazda RX7 & 323 (old one), Datsun 240Z & 210, Dodge Charger(FWD), MR2. I'm sure there are others I can't recall!

Its amazing what you can do with little cash but lots of time!!!

Hey Bryan!

It looks like it's going to be fairly easy to do for sure... This is the first site (Coleman Racing)that pretty much has everything needed, that's race spec, and it's reasonably priced. They list the top spring mounts as well - but I'll need to source some adjustible camber plates for the strut mount. I figure if I can find some Volvo ones that might be fairly easy to do... Still not sure how the ones Slater used work (ones on Rally design - adjustible spring perches)

Up front - I'm thinking steel threaded sleeves and then just welding them to the strut instead of alloy ones (stronger threads in case I rally it), and if the 5" OD springs work in the back then I should have height adjustibility back there too with either the sleeves or these "cheater" spring perches they have.

I just really want to nail the spring rates down perfect... Volvo guys are running 300 lb springs in the front, with Bilstein HD struts - so I'd like to figure out a nice rate to go to above stock (30%?) and then using a slightly higher viscosity shock oil in it with the stock internals. The rear shocks are going to be a puzzler - but I have some ideas... :D (Probably going to end up with a few different sets of springs anyway though - road, rally, track)

So Bryan and Victor - Got any recommendations if this is meant to see some track duty? (Seeing as you two have some serious track time in these!) I'm wanting to keep the stock internals in the front - Mike Halley advised me against anything but the stock strut internals - back when they were rallying, stages were much rougher than they are now - and the stock 505 struts handled it beautifully...

Time to have a garage sale I think...

Rabin

• 3 weeks later...