Peugeot Owner Once Again

peculiar33

I just took possession of a 1986 Peugeot 505 GL Turbo. I have had a couple of 505's in the past. The first was a 1982 STi, which was so very comfortable but so very slow. The next was a 1985 turbo that was all beat up. Both ran well, and I had missed them. This new GL has only 58,000 miles on it, so it is in pretty decent shape. The motor is strong, but the ride seems awfully stiff. Anyway, I am a Peugeot owner once again, and I am pleased to have found this forum. I look forward to getting to know some of you, as I am sure that I will need your help and guidance to keep this fun little car on the road.

Josh

peculiar33

Very cool Josh! Welcome to the forum!

Please post up some pics! I too have an 86' GL Turbo and they're pretty rare. The stiff suspension is the 505 Turbo sport suspension - and while it feels stiff - the ride is still remarkably good soaking up LARGE pot holes and such with ease. Not quite as cushy as the regular 505's - but a MUCH better drivers car.

Rabin

Rabin, what is the 505 Turbo sport suspension?

Ive noticed my STI/STX/Turbo all ride much more firm then my diesels (base and "S" model)

Im guess they had much more firm suspension ?

Dunno about the springs/shocks, but I'm pretty sure the swaybars are thicker on those models.

The Turbos (and the ST*'s I think) received stiffer spring rates and increased damping, thicker sway bars, poly sway bar bushings, and only the turbo's and V6's got the vented front disks...

They still corner on their door handles - but the car is still very stable and incredibly easy to control... I tended to push the handling/tire limits on autocrosses - but once in the groove they are amazing fun at the limit.

Hoping my planned upgrades take it up a notch though - but it'll be hard to make it better without comprimises...

Out of the box they are incredible all round cars.

Rabin

Hey guys, I will get some pics up as soon as I find the digital camera. This car spent its life up until last month in the rust belt, and while there is no serious rot to the body, the front struts are all eaten up. The back is not as bad. Most of my mechanical experience comes from working on old Mercedes, which use a totally different suspension set up. These McPherson struts are new to me. Here I am, educate me.

Josh

peculiar33

cool

fix any rust up as fast as you can before it spreads and becomes too bad.

ive been bondo-ing on my 505 lately, but i want to cut the pieces of metal out, and weld new parts in. im probably gonna have a shop do this, as im getting a new paint job (probably same red as Vic's Red :D ) soon so ill probably get it done around the same time

I am working on the rust already. There is only 1 hole in the body, which is no big deal. These struts have me worried though. Should I need to replace the whole assemblies, are their any after-market options? I will be off to the salvage yard later today for lug nuts and turn signal housings. I will report back soon.

Josh

peculiar33

p.s. norcal505- you '83 looks a lot like the '82 I used to drive. Very nice car.

Hey Josh,

If the strut perches haven't fallen yet (that's what they do when they fail making contact with the tire), you can take them off, sand blast them, and then weld up the rusty holes in the perch. I used water soaked rags to keep the housing cool and had the strut spring off but didn't take the strut itself apart - worked awesome.

Also - if the car has less than 100000 miles the struts were covered under warranty - I believe it was a 100000 mile warranty with no time limit - but it's been ages since I've heard of anyone with an issue.

Another option would be to have the perch machined off and then have a coil over kit installed. WAY more work, but has more performance potential...

I have a rusted out set, and that's what I'm doing... Course I took advantage of the warranty on got a nice new set to replace them. Warranty calls for them to be installed by an authorized facility - but I was working in Northern Sask. as a mechanic so they just sent the housings to me... :D

Rabin

Hey Josh,

If the strut perches haven't fallen yet (that's what they do when they fail making contact with the tire), you can take them off, sand blast them, and then weld up the rusty holes in the perch. I used water soaked rags to keep the housing cool and had the strut spring off but didn't take the strut itself apart - worked awesome.

Also - if the car has less than 100000 miles the struts were covered under warranty - I believe it was a 100000 mile warranty with no time limit - but it's been ages since I've heard of anyone with an issue.

Another option would be to have the perch machined off and then have a coil over kit installed. WAY more work, but has more performance potential...

I have a rusted out set, and that's what I'm doing... Course I took advantage of the warranty on got a nice new set to replace them. Warranty calls for them to be installed by an authorized facility - but I was working in Northern Sask. as a mechanic so they just sent the housings to me... :D

Rabin

Warranty? Now there is a word I never thought I would hear concerning this car. That is some good news indeed. Who would I need to contact, any authorized dealer?

Josh

peculiar33

yeah - you'd have to contact a dealer that still does parts and repair - or contact Peugeot headquarters...

There may be a 10 year limit on the warranty - but I'm fairly sure they're just limited to the 100000 miles... (From memory though!)

Rabin

Okay, I have spoken to a couple of former authorized repair centers about the strut warranty. No one could remember, so I called the Peugeot headquarters in New Jersey (or what is left of it). I was told that the warranty program was a goodwill gesture from the company after they left everyone high and dry in 1993. It was good for 10 years and has since expired. I suppose it was worth a shot.

Josh

peculiar33

That sucks Josh...

You can use the front struts from any of the 85 - 87 505's, but look for the STI versions of the lesser cars as they should have the same valved strut - you'll just have to swap the turbo hubs over.

I'm sure someone might be able to hook you up with a good set - as there's lots of postings of yards and such that you should be able to find a good set...

They are rebuildable with a cheap seal and new fluid - and they're some of the best struts ever made so they're worth it! (The 8 valve system is outstanding)

Rabin

• 3 weeks later...

Okay. The suspension issues have been put on hold, having been superseded by engine problems. It appears to be the basic stuff, i.e. bad O2 sensor, fouled plugs, and a warn distributor cap and rotor. No problem, that is until the old, original plug wires came apart in my hands. New wires or on order from RockAuto, along with new filters, valve cover gaskets, and a 3 bar FPR. I am quite open to any comments, advice, and suggestions this group may have to offer. I've already learned so much here. One thing I must say is that working under the hood of the Pug certainly makes me appreciate the space and simplicity under the hood of the 500,000k mile MB 300SD that is the daily driver.