Noob- 505 Turbo - Need major advice

1320Turbo

i was thinking building a box and just venting air toward it, maybe if I can try to position it a little differently so its easier to get air by it. If I throw on a BOV it'll be vented to atmosphere.

If im floored from a stop how long does it take to get the turbo fully spooled....stock...with bov?

Matt

as rabin said there is no BOV in stock trim. they used a rubber hose from the exit of the intercooler to the throttle elbow which was designed to 'absorb' pressure spikes.

as far as when the power comes on, assuming the car is tuned well: 2500rpm

trevor does have a bypass setup which is from a volvo which i think he loves hehehe. it does make some cool noises, and he's venting back to the accordian hose (not atmosphere).

I ran the same setup, but with the stock intercooler and didn't experience the same thing. couldn't really hear it, mad no real world difference during shifts, and completely ruined the throttle response.

as rabin said there is no BOV in stock trim. they used a rubber hose from the exit of the intercooler to the throttle elbow which was designed to 'absorb' pressure spikes.

as far as when the power comes on, assuming the car is tuned well: 2500rpm

trevor does have a bypass setup which is from a volvo which i think he loves hehehe. it does make some cool noises, and he's venting back to the accordian hose (not atmosphere).

I ran the same setup, but with the stock intercooler and didn't experience the same thing. couldn't really hear it, mad no real world difference during shifts, and completely ruined the throttle response.

can i vent it to atmosphere without sacraficing the car running like total crap? What would that do for spool up time and throttle response?

doesnt the elbow or whatever thats stock still give compressor surge? or is it all bypassed by that tube?

oh and how much do these cars weigh roughly

Matt

I'm sure when new the rubber pipe helped some - but mine's really brittle and it has no give - so it would surge back to the turbo for sure. Can't say anthing about response though as I haven't done the BOV yet.

Car weighs about 3100 lbs in stock loaded trim I believe. There's a post with exact weights if you want to search it though...

Rabin

just needed an about so i can get an idea of what it will feel like. the 3000GT will put about 200 to the ground on all motor weighing 3500 lbs. although FWD vs RWD and MTX vs AT is way diffrent in feel.

also does this car have an aftermarket exhaust. from pics all the stockers go out the passenger side. Running 17psi, how will an exhaust system really affect performance.

sorry about being a noob with the turbo everything, i'm really used to N/A and backpressure is a good thing there, lol.

I can't see the pics in the link to your myspace and don't want to sign up... (Facebook is all I want to give into!) So I can't comment on the other pics you have regarding the exhaust.

As for back pressure being a good thing - it's not really. NA cars need exhaust velocity and flow to be effective. If done well there's little to no back pressure with high velocity flow, with a good scavenging effect from a tuned header... So proper sizing is really important. (If you can't tune the engine that's been set up with backpressure taken into account - then you'll need BP to run properly - but it's still not ideal for peak power.)

Once you have possession of the car - the posts and stuff will make a lot more sense. And you can take better pics for us not on myspace... ;)

Rabin

alright thats cool. Work begins in the spring. 3000GT went to the shop today for the new motor, new engine looks fantastic so i'm really excited about that. I also had a prosport oil pressure gauge and sandwich plate for the 3000 but decided not to pull the dash to swap out all gauges so I traded the sandwich plate and 15 bucks for a brand new in package autometer boost gauge. :-D...getting mods and it deosnt even run yet! lol

Matt

alright thats cool. Work begins in the spring. 3000GT went to the shop today for the new motor, new engine looks fantastic so i'm really excited about that. I also had a prosport oil pressure gauge and sandwich plate for the 3000 but decided not to pull the dash to swap out all gauges so I traded the sandwich plate and 15 bucks for a brand new in package autometer boost gauge. :-D...getting mods and it deosnt even run yet! lol

Matt

does anyone have a production list for these cars? or to match vin numbers to see how many cars were in each trim.

for instance theres a site i can plug into for my 3000GT and find out production numbers and color and interior matches. My car is 1 of 20 Identical