Project 505 is Alive

Trevor

I started up the grey beast tonight for the first time in about 8 months or so. The rebuild is finally complete. There are a few loose ends to tie up but overall it's been a great success and an awesome experience. It started up immediately without complaint. I should have smog done soon so that i can put all the "fun" stuff on after break in. It got about 20 minutes of runtime today. I even took it for a ride around the block. the faint turbo spool brings back memories.

As soon as i retorque the head and fix the fan switch :lol: and get it smogged , i may look into getting a milder version of the danielson cam ground... or maybe i'll just put the danielson back in. I have yet to decide on which it will be. Haven't decided about the exhaust, i may roll around on a stock system for a while. From there i'm going straight to engine management. I've been eyeing up Megasquirt for quite some time. It seems like it'll be an awesome experience to build a whole ecu and have full control over all aspects of tuning. That should be an awesome launch pad for any future performance upgrades, and it will be much safer this way as well (as far as breaking the motor is concerned..). The megasquirt will likely be accompanied by a wideband oxygen sensor and an EGT probe. Such fun... !! :D

Yea i've seen YOUR gas gauge work accurately, but oh no, not mine. Mine bounces between full and empty, it actually WHIPS full sometimes, and you can hear the needle slamming into the stop. :lol: Piece of shit.

I'd LOVE to get a full set of real gauges and replace the whole cluster, and then make a nice custom cutout and place all the idiot lights on it. Lots of work, and more importantly, lots of money. megasquirt comes first i think. Then i'll just look at my laptop. Maybe i'll mount an LCD right over the stock gauge cluster. haha. It actually was sort of depressing starting the fresh motor up and getting in the car and watching that tach move... that thing doesn't even have a clue what the engine is reving, sometimes i think it just listens and guesses. So choppy :-/

the fogs look dope, where are the side skirts!

dont forget the speedo thats either 10mph high or 10mph low depending on its mood. then the magnet just can't spin the thing past 130 unless your doing about 165. :angry:

actually i think the oil temp is the only one that's always looked a little consistant (assuming it works). but it does seem to very from cluster to cluster. so yeah...

Yea my water temp and oil temp do a good job normally. ;-)

yea, i started installing the sideskirts today. What a fricken pain in the a$$. I got one 'done' although it's not 100% perfect... so i might be redoing it or something. Ugh, i wish they'd just install themselves, but it looks absolutely ILL so i guess it's worth the work.

Looking good Trevor!

My 86's Speedo seemed to stop at 120 MPH even though it felt that I was picking speed. It failed twice, just before I bought the car and a couple months later. My Dad's 505GR back in the day had the same problem, no wonder, however the rest of the gauges worked remarkably well. The GR had no tacho so I guess all we had to contend with was the gas gauge (petrol gauge) and the water temp.

i've heard most of them seem to stop at about 135, they will slowly speed up, but it takes a lot to get them to move. i think anything past 90 is erroneous.

Also, I haven't proven the theory, but i guess they can just be off normally (+/-) pre day depending on the magnets mood i guess.. So doing fuel economy checks aren't always as accurate as you may think :angry:

This is what NOT to do when rebuilding a motor:

post-1-1125196565.jpg

Yea... it's good thing that the screws didnt back themselves all the way out. I remember messing with the valve timing to get it right and hand snugging those screws, and i dont remember ever tightening them. Stupid move, but somehow it worked out ok. I would have hate to have trashed the car right after rebuilding the motor... ugh. No wonder it progressively sounded more and more like a tractor every time i started it up.

Anyway, i fixed that, retorqued the head, changed the oil again and fixed a few other things. The motor purrs like a kitten! It got its first wash today since it's been running. Next is smog and then fun goodies. I was too late finishing up my work today to get it smogged, the place was closed when i got there :-/ Here's the beast with its new sideskirt... yes only one.. haha. I've yet to put the other one on.

post-1-1125196752.jpg

that's right! LSD is in. I haven't been doing much drifting yet tho. :angry:

I've changed the fluid in there a couple times now to wash all the gunk out from it. I think one more fluid change and it'll be ready for some burnouts. Oh and i have a brand new drain bolt for your 86 car... i ordered one from westernhemispheres and it doesn't have a hex on it. bleh.

SMOG IS DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Passed with flying colors, woo! The front mount is back in, i just came back from my first drive with the front mount. Oh dear is it nice to hear that bypass valve again. RRRRAAAAAAAAAR PSHHHHHHHHHHHHH TWEE. So wonderful. The car feels DAMN good for 10psi. I gave it full throttle for the first time since the rebuild!

Oh and about smog... i passed with 804 injectors and a 3bar fuel pressure regulator if anybody's curious

Congrats Trevor!

Nicely done. Can't believe it's been 8 months though - wow...

It'll be cool to see how you make out with MegaSquirt. I still get tempted by it with the wide band O2, but I'm still loving the TD set up. A group of us in the club are thinking about getting a wide band st up for tuning purposes - so that should help get the most out of the TD set up. Once set up - it'll be good to go.

Could you post close-up pictures (and maybe some instructions) of the metal container that's mounted above turbo in this picture? If I understood correctly it collects the oil that's possibly coming out of the breather hose? I've been planning on doing something similar myself. Currently I have only an open hose that goes above the gearbox... I don't want to lead all the dirt to turbo's intake like the original factory method does.

Yes that is an oil catch can. it's kind of ghetto because i made it myself with some random leftover metal pieces and some jbweld. A company called JAZ also makes some catch cans that i've seen for a reasonable price. Since it doesn't do much I thought i could save some bux by just making one. I feel much better about it now that its not dumping back into the intake. I used a water bottle for a while :) The can doesn't really fill up with much oil. ALthough it does see quite a bit of oil vapor judging from the oil stained-yellowing plastic tube that serves as the fluid level meter...

can_t.jpg P1010004_t.jpg P1010006_t.jpg P1010007_T.jpg