Sunroof stuck partway open

85-505

When I bought my 505, the power sunroof was closed and did not operate... It did leak a fair bit in the rain though..

A few weeks ago I noticed it was open a crack... It seems like perhaps someone jumped on it when I was parked outside a party maybe? anyway I can't move it all..

I checked the fuses under the hood ( all OK ) and the switch seems to be OK too... I dont really want to rip out all the headliner unless I have to ..

Does anybody have any ideas.. I seem to recall seeing a page somehwere that described making a manual crank for the sunroof...

Thanks

Oh and I can post pics too if needed.

The electrical sunroof's on the 505's are known to be defect due to a broken cable between the motor in the trunk and the roof. It often happens and a new cable at a peugeot dealer in Europe costs more than 250 dollars. Hopefully you're motor doesn't work due to a broken electrical wire or whatever. These motors should be relative easy to find on scrap yards for example.

For everybody with a working electric sunroof: Peugeot developed a small clamp to enforce the cable where it is attached to the motor. It costs only a few dollars and you no longer risk to break the cable while operating the roof. If there are still Peugeot dealers in the USA they should be able to order them.

For everybody with a working electric sunroof: Peugeot developed a small clamp to enforce the cable where it is attached to the motor. It costs only a few dollars and you no longer risk to break the cable while operating the roof. If there are still Peugeot dealers in the USA they should be able to order them.

Was that clamp realy produced by Peugeot? I only know this one hobbyist greation.

V-M

Thanks guys ...

So the sunroof motor is in the trunk eh? I wondered what that was.. and why the wires to it were disconnected..

When plugged in.. the sunroof opens, but if you try to close it.. it just makes noises & doesn't move..

I pushed it closed as far as I could, but should probably try and sort it out before the winter rains come...

Thanks guys ...

So the sunroof motor is in the trunk eh? I wondered what that was.. and why the wires to it were disconnected..

When plugged in.. the sunroof opens, but if you try to close it.. it just makes noises & doesn't move..

I pushed it closed as far as I could, but should probably try and sort it out before the winter rains come...

Usual reason is broken "wire" which operates sunroof. It let u open but not close roof.

Motor is on right side behind of that cover.

V-M

If it makes a noise, presumably the motor is getting voltage. This is sounding like a mechanical issue. R&Ring the sunroof assembly looks like a bear of a job. One I do not look forward to doing. Thankfully I don't have to yet.

Usually the cable that controls the movement of the sunroof has split allowing the cable to escape it's sheeth when it's "pushing". The Peugeot-L list has some lengthly threads on how others have fixed this.

It requires at least a partial disassembly of the headliner. The book details the process. Maybe others that have done it could comment more.

• 8 months later...

not to re-open a new thread or anything, but is there a way to manually close the sunroof? Mine is open just a crack and the cable is snapped.

I know on VW's and Audis of the 80s there is a hex screw you can turn that will manually close the sunroof if (when) the motor fails.

Thanks guys.

Not designed for that. I've heard of people huffing it into place. But this usually when the cable has partially failed. If it were me, I'd get two people with some strength in their arms and put one palm on the inside and one on the top and heave.

I managed to pry the sunroof closed with a large flat blade screwdriver. I reconnected the motor and everything works, it even tries to pull the sunroof back a few inches but gets bound up somewhere.

It could be fixed at a later date, but I'm just glad I can drive it now without the wind noise. :lol: