turbo 505 horsepower / boost limits?

whats up everyone i am new to the world of peugeot's. i will be pickin an 85 505 turbo on tuesday, i have been searching and havent found anything on the the limits of the stock motor/turbo. i know it has a garrett t3 which is a very good turbo, but what am i lookin at number wise for the limitations of the stock bottom end. thanx

nick

Honestly there isn't enough info around to reliably say what the bottom end is good for.

In my opinion - When you look at the bits that make up the bottom end - it's outstanding and it *should* do 350 - 400 HP, but it needs a better head gasket (o-ringed copper maybe? Multi-layer steel?) and upraded bolts or a stud kit for mounting the head to see those numbers reliably though.

Sadly nobody's really gone nuts with boost or modding these cars to the limits, but they did race these cars in Europe back in the day with the top engines pushing 500+ HP. They weren't stock bottom ends though from what I've read.

Couple people on the forum are in the midst of build ups, but the limits won't be known till after they get built...

Rabin

I would say whith stock setup 0.8bar is max (can peak in 0.9) but eaven then timing adwance must be correct and all systems (injectors, knocking detection, etc...) have to work.

Adding more fuel and install fex.2.5" down pipe 0.9bar is ok for continous pressure.

Original pistons are wery sensitive for knoking, those breaks easily (I have 3 sets (4 pistons) which are broke from between 1st and 2nd ring), those are from different engines.

For 1bar and over needed changes are more hardware changes.

I did have 1bar and peaking 1.1bar in my dyno run. My limitter was original injection and advance system.

V-M

I would say whith stock setup 0.8bar is max (can peak in 0.9) but eaven then timing adwance must be correct and all systems (injectors, knocking detection, etc...) have to work.

Adding more fuel and install fex.2.5" down pipe 0.9bar is ok for continous pressure.

Original pistons are wery sensitive for knoking, those breaks easily (I have 3 sets (4 pistons) which are broke from between 1st and 2nd ring), those are from different engines.

For 1bar and over needed changes are more hardware changes.

I did have 1bar and peaking 1.1bar in my dyno run. My limitter was original injection and advance system.

V-M

thanx guys... well i think that when i pick this 85 up on tusday i will be puttin an 3inch exhuast from the turbo back, a nice front mount and manual boost controller, walboro 255 fuel pump, and bigger injectors. bump up the boost to 1 bar and see how she runs... anyone know where i might find some replacement pistons, and or headgasket? also anyone know if arp makes head studs for the 505?

• 9 months later...

thanx guys... well i think that when i pick this 85 up on tusday i will be puttin an 3inch exhuast from the turbo back, a nice front mount and manual boost controller, walboro 255 fuel pump, and bigger injectors. bump up the boost to 1 bar and see how she runs... anyone know where i might find some replacement pistons, and or headgasket? also anyone know if arp makes head studs for the 505?

ARP will make the studs if you send them a head bolt first ($$$). As for pistons, we got ours from:

Jahns Quality Pistons 714-579-3795

1360 N Jefferson St,Anaheim, CA 92807-1614

This was back a few years but they have been in business for a long time. Their price on a set of four was much better than a set of OEM from Peugeot and they did beef up the pistons to fix the most common failures.

Hope this helps.

Hey Otis,

Do you happen to know if ARP has the pattern for the N9T** engines now and doesn't need one to copy? Curious if it actually came with a part number or something...

Usually when a company does a custom application they keep the spec for future reference...

Long shot since it sounds like the studs were attained a few years ago - but still be cool to just be able to order a set up...

I think I'm just going to contact them to see... :)

Rabin