My 505

Guest EUROTRASH

Guest EUROTRASH

This is my 1987 505 STI V6 currently under esthetic upgrade, an expensive trial-and-error process that is nearly complete (all but the paint job). This was done in an effort to modernize the car as much as possible and produce "the ultimate 505", which in my opinion should be a sport-packaged V6. Some modifications include custom bumper frame, collapsed bumper shocks, later model fenders and minor re-wiring. Attached are some before & after photos, as you can see the initial result was a failure, some parts did not lineup and cracked under stress, lighting sockets and holes were left open, etc. Now only a few adjustments remain and it's only a matter of "budget".

I'm from Argentina, where Peugeot is very common and used in a wide rage of applications such as taxis, trucks, vans, police units, you name it. I'm VERY proud of my 505 which I lovingly call "eurotrash"... or AmeliƩ. It is however... DIFFICULT, any ABS 505 owners will attest to this, but being the only one on the road driving a Peugeot... makes up for all the times I felt like pushing it off a cliff. ; -)

VIVA LA FRANCE

Fernando

post-215-1175406403.jpg

post-215-1175406450.jpg

post-215-1175406481.jpg

That's a GORGEOUS car Fernando! Very nicely done.

Welcome to the forum and I look forward to seeing more pictures.

As an aside - Hopefully we can use your knowledge and contacts since we are sometimes in dire need of parts that are only available in South America - as well as clear up certain things we've heard... (For example: Sun roof seals, trim, lights, etc etc.)

Mostly though - did the 505 ever come with a 7" and 5 3/4" quad round headlight set up in Argentina? <_< We discussed this a while back as I thought I saw a magazine once that had the 505 with a quad round headlight set up with the 7" outer lights as being the Aouth American version in the mid to late 1990's...

Guest EUROTRASH

Thanks! Bean

In answer to your questions,

1st. I don't recall seeing any other headlight on the 505 other than the one piece glass, I could be wrong. I can tell you, this one piece headlight has been in use in Argentina since the mid 80's, (or for as long as I can remember) and it was for sure the only headlight installed in the 90's. I will look into this.

Attached are pictures the official 505 Foglamp sold in Argentina, although the box only states Peugeot 205 GTI. I bought these last time I was in Argentina, together with other things... and will be the last item to be installed in my car.

2nd. I do have contacts in Argentina, and would be happy to help anyone in need of parts. However, none of my contacts ship parts overseas, these parts are usually bought for me by family or friends and either shipped by them or brought back with me when I go. But like I said, I'm more than willing to help out, as I'm sure I will also be asking many questions on this site.

VIVA LA FRANCE

post-215-1175451809.jpg

post-215-1175451841.jpg

post-215-1175451873.jpg

Guest EUROTRASH

Thanks! Johnny ...and August, glad to be here

In answer to Jonnny's question. yes... everything's Peugeot 505, the "sport package" came from a 505 in North Carolina 4 yeas ago, and I've been trying to install it on my car ever since, I'm making progress... I think.

I've replaced many things, new alternator, starter motor, fuel pump... and I had a restoration shop adjust the valves, as required on all PRV engies at the 40k mark, but no custom modifications have been done. It runs really good and I dont' want to mess with it, and besides that I don't really know that much about engines.

Gotta get back to work, but I'll be back..

Thanks again!

I love your car.

I freakin LOVE YOUR CAR!!!!.

Holy S**T!!!

Another Claret 505 Turbo Project in america!!!!! :rolleyes:

I'm working on my car currently to have the same bumpers/bodykit as yours. I am also working on many other stuff. Please check out my link to my Cardomain Page.

PLEASE GET BACK TO ME ON HOW YOU DID THE BUMPER CONVERSION/REAR END, AND WHAT YOU DID TO MAKE IT WORK, AND WHERE YOU GOT THE PARTS.

THANKS

-ROB

Once again, NICE car!!!

Guest EUROTRASH

Rob, thank you!

Tell you what, I will take pictures of the bumper framework for you... and detail all the necessary adjustments, there's a few things you MUST know, if you haven't figured them out already that is.

I'll do this over the weeked, have a nice day

Back to work... (dammit)

Fernando

Guest EUROTRASH

Thank you brownie, you're looking at older pictures though.. the car doesn't look like that right now but hopefully I'll be able to repaint it within my lifetime.. every car on this site probably looks better than mine right now :)

Norcal, ok... I don't know the specs for the 1983 STI, but chances are it's just as incompatible as mine was to the new bumpers, so I'll tell you about my modifications and hopefully you will encounter the same exact problems on your car.

1st. The two components that place the bumpers on the right spot are: the bumper shocks and the bumper frame. The bumper shock's plate (which holds the bumper with bolts) is set at a different angle, on a different spot, and have different amount of holes on one plate than the other. The bumper frame which consists manly of a steel bar is also different, in more ways I can describe, there's just no way to hold the new bumper with the old frame. Also, your fenders are worthless, they extend past the bumper causing it to split open and crack, consequently making it look like S*#T.

These are the parts I selected for my car, all later model 505 (or "special edition") all from the same car (if possible).

Bumpers (front/rear) you don't need the frame but you do need the side brackets, they attach to the fenders. (they also slide back and forth, VERY convenient)

Bumper shocks (front/rear).

Front fenders.

Side skirts

Trunk spoiler

One-piece euro headlights

New model rear signal lights

New model license plate panel.

The easiest approach to installing the bumpers (I think) is fabricating a custom frame, which really isn't that difficult for a welder. The tricky part is the angle of the bars, as this will determine the position of the bumpers. Obviously you want to leave a little bit of space between the top of the bumpers and the lights, you don't want lights and bumper touching eachother. You may also need to puncture the new bumper shocks, this will release the pressure in the shocks allowing you to adjust their hight.

The fender tips must lineup with the hood, as you can see in my car they do not, they will need to be removed and replaced properly. In the pictures you can see why this makes such a big difference: the headlight frame is too exposed, the fender's curve does not align with the bumper's curve, and the front doors rub against the fenders each time you open them.

The rear signal lights need to be rewired, (picture attached) and the hole for the socket may not lineup. Just cut it, paint the exposed metal and seal any openings you make (dock tape works just fine).

I'd like to point out that the purpose of this modifications is not to simply customize but to upgrade to actual spects, at least this is my objective, which has proven to be much more difficult than simply customizing.

All the body parts in my car came from Sunset Coachmen in North Carolina, (www.sunsetcoachmen.com) but you may very well find them someplace else. DuBarr Peugeot, California (714 375-0991) Disortex, Texas (281 530-2600) ...etc. Your parts may need some restoration, don't be discouraged this is very common.

Anyway that's the basics, there's more to it so feel free to ask...

GOOD WEEKEND EVERYONE

Fernando

post-215-1176012113.jpg

post-215-1176012157.jpg

post-215-1176012194.jpg

post-215-1176012230.jpg

post-215-1176012289.jpg

post-215-1176012339.jpg

post-215-1176012369.jpg

post-215-1176012401.jpg

post-215-1176012442.jpg

post-215-1176012502.jpg

post-215-1176012537.jpg

post-215-1176012586.jpg

post-215-1176012621.jpg

THANKS ALOT!! EUROTRASH,

I think that these instrucyions and pics will help me through the process.

-as of the sources of buying them-

-Distortex (i've tried them on stuff like rims, they are very hard bout the whole shippin process, etc.)

-Sunset Coachmen(I've e-mailed them NUMEROUS times, they wont't answer me).

-DuBarr-(I'll try them)

There is also, luckily for me, a HUGE Peugeot Junkyard, and dismantlers 40 miles from me, in Fremont, CA. It has many Peugeots, Mbx's, Volvos, Renualts, BMWS, FERRARIS!!, and AUdis. They have many 505's in stock, so I'll have to check with them about the parts. I have checked with them in the past about the "body kit", all they had was a old 89 S V6, In blue, good condition, but all the bumpers/sideskirts, were craked and a whole lot of other s&^t.

BTW,

How much (estimate) was the whole body-retrofit project in $$$??

I need 2 know what I'm about to get into.

thx,

rob

Guest EUROTRASH

How much, hard to say at this point... you can save a lot of money by doing it right the first time, that's why it cost me so much, I didn't know anything. It really depends, on where your parts are coming from, wether they need restoration or not, who you get to weld the frame, how much you're willing to spend on paint... etc.

Think about it, if your car is in perfect condition as it is, you might want to keep it that way. If you don't have the budget to modify your car completely, you'll endup with an unfinished project... for a very long time.

It kills me to see my car look like that, but I simply don't have the money to finish it right now.

Just think about it for a while... I'm sure your car is beautiful as it is.

Fernando

Norcal, I'm looking for 3 steel wheels for my car (spare-tire wheel), I'm posting it on the forum but if you happen to see any that look like mine in the junkyard, would you let me know?

Guest EUROTRASH

Oh wow, 50... I only need 3, I guess the trick is finding them in good condition.

I live in Salt Lake City

I see the front bumper of a 505 on the 'craigslist' site, who's car is that?? It's funny because I thought a lot about painting my car semi-flat black, I think it would give the car a very serious look, it would give it a lot of character.... uh, I think? :)