Accordion hose replacement / upgrade

i was having some idle issues when cold for a while, then the car just didn't start one day. nothing. i start looking into it, and there's a massive crack (vacuum leak) in the rubber accordion hose. lucklly i had an extra one! woohoo being they are no longer available from peugeot. the extra one was used, but it would at least get me to the track next weekend. i put it on, car starts right up, and about 10 minutes later there's a crack in the SAME place (!!!!).

the below is kind of an emergency repair of a 505 turbo accordion hose, getting parts overnighted and trying to get things together as quickly as possible. if i were to do this again i'd like to get some more "flex" available in the hose, but it doesn't seem TOO bad as is, so it's staying for now. anyways....

here are my notes i took before ordering parts:

AFM Outlet diameter = 69.8mm (2.75")

HVAC (?) tube = 9.25mm (.36")

PCV Return = 19.75mm (.75")

Turbo Inlet = 60mm (2.36")

the parts i ended up purchasing were:

- mandrel bent 2.5" steel tube

- black silicon 2.5 -> 2.75 "transition hose" (source APT Turbo: link)

- black silicon 2.25 -> 2.5 "transition hose" (source APT Turbo: link)

** the 2.25" hose on the turbo was a bit of a strech, but it does work

...so basically: AFM (2.75) -> 2.5 bent tube -> 2.25 turbo inlet....

cracked hose. most of the rubber seemed fresh and plyable, but that one section was rock hard and brittle (which of course sat directly under the exhaust manifold.

1_cracked_hose.jpg

...new mandrel bend tube cut to size

2_new_tube.jpg

...fitting

3_fitting.jpg

...testing in place

4_in_place.jpg

...using the old setup kinda as a template

5_old_setup.jpg

...clamped into place

6_clamped.jpg

...welded parts (not done by me <_<)

7_welded_taps.jpg

...other side

8_welded_taps_top.jpg

used some rust proof black paint, and got it installed in time for the weekend. wooohoo!

Nicely done! I'd suggest some heat sheilding / resistant action though - maybe some header wrap or something to help that steel from heating up too much near that manifold...

Course this begs the question - What track? (1/4 mile? Road race?) You'll definitely have to let us know how the beast runs!

Car's looking sweet - can hardly wait for more pics and details once it starts running.

Rabin

good call on the heat shielding Rabin. it worked great, and i haven't noticed any performance changes, so i'm cool with it. i'm just looking foward to the rubber not cracking :rolleyes:

the track day was the buttonwillow (road course) track day, pictures here

Johnny, between all the parts and getting them all overnighted it was I think around 150. If and when I do it again i'll keep track, and probably spend a little 'smarter'.

• 1 month later...