How bad IS bosch LU-Jetronic

august

The electronics are definitley not a strong point of the 505's as we all know, but as time gets closer to MegaSquirt (or some other management system) I'm starting to wonder what kind of improvements we could actually expect from a new(er) managment system.

The N9TEA boost control system is really damn cool, and very ahead of its time (for 1989), but what about the rest? Will megasquirt be just instant power gain? or will it be countless hours (and dollars) for dyno runs and such to get the performance to where it is now with LU jetronic.

at the very least, running a system like megasquirt would be an excellent learning experience..

opinion's / ideas?

Hey August,

I was one of the biggest proponents of MS when I first learned of it. I joined the list, read the manuals, and I even bought soldering station for the project.

I was talking with some of the guys in my club and I was pointed to the Turbo Dodge ECU as a potential alternative. A guy named Jason Richardson put it his Merkur and did up a really cool "how-to" manual to boot.

I read up on it as well and I'm sold on using it on the Peugeot.

Some of the features:

- electronic control of boost. (Charge temp dependant AND engine temp dependent - limits boost if engine is cold, and if the intake temp exeeds a set point.)

- MAP - gets rid of the VAF - a pretty nasty air restriction IMHO.

- fuel and timing can be customized.

- Large tuning group already building "cals" for 2.2/2.5L Turbo 4 cylinder engines.

- Proven ECU built for the environment.

- Can be modded for flashing the eprom in the car.

- it's CHEAP!!!

I posted a link on one of the reply's to Trevors post - check it out.

Rabin

aaaaah, ok interesting. I have an american car nut friend who was talking about some GM system that guys are starting to customize.. You could use like a UV light or something to re-set the EEPROM? Does that sound familiar or?? maybe its another system.

Motec i'd be cuerious about if i had money leaping out my ears because i've heard some wonderful things about that system.

Rabin also mentioned Pectel before. I think that's one of the higher end race car management systems out there. I've heard of the UV light reset chips before. What if you're 'pimping in your fat ride' with blacklights inside and it erases your chip! hah..

Just wait till the grey beast gets fuel management, it's gonna be ON.

• 3 weeks later...

My experiences after one-year drive with Megasquirt: It's a hobby :) It works, but I always know the current weaknesses of the system, and like tweaking it constantly.

The air flow meter, I didn't bother to remove it, just blocked the flapper door fully open. Didn't have any effect on performance on seat-of-pants dyno. This at my well below 200hp level.

My experiences after one-year drive with Megasquirt: It's a hobby :) It works, but I always know the current weaknesses of the system, and like tweaking it constantly.

The air flow meter, I didn't bother to remove it, just blocked the flapper door fully open. Didn't have any effect on performance on seat-of-pants dyno. This at my well below 200hp level.

Interesting about the AFM restriction. I was always cuerious as to how much it actually blocked. It seems like if the "Barn Door" style way of metering air really is that restrictive, why has Porsche used it for, what, the past 20 years? Why haven't they switched to MAP?