My next new car: Peugeot 308 SW 180 Hybrid

Mike T

Well....technically it'll be mine for 24 days: I've just paid a Montreal company to reserve one of these for the continental leg of our 6 week European trip, starting October 15th. The contract signed today describes a tax-free price of 38,200 EUR so it's probably a reasonably equipped one. 180 HP 1.6 turbo with hybrid assist. Official fuel consumption is a ridiculous 1 L/100 km but we will average 5.x I expect, because the open road is not the hybrid's natural terrain. The top end is reported to be 225 km/h, which I plan to verify in Germany. Likely a soft speed limiter.

Arriving from London on the Eurostar, we will pick up in Paris, head north to some battlefields, then into Lorraine and Alsace, then Munich. During that part of the trip we'll be 4 up with luggage. At that point our youngest daughter and her new husband will split form us and head to Paris and then Iceland. My wife and I will drive to the bottom of Spain via Switzerland and the Rhône valley. From Spain, a couple of days sans voiture in Morocco and then to the Algarve, back up to northern Spain, Bordeaux and to visit a friend near Chartres.

This car should be delivered with about 10 km on it and when it'd returned I expect more than 8000 to be showing. I'll write up a detailed review here if anyone's interested. Or maybe if not, too.

We've done this with Peugeot in 1995 (405 Style Diesel Wagon), 2014 (RCZ), 2019 (208 GT Line). And then 6 other times with various Renaults. A fabulous way to visit Europe, zero deductible insurance; the usual rental car return problems are not a thing (for example, it's no problem to have a curbed wheel or parking lot ding) and you literally own the car during the term.

image.thumb.png.6a6215d4d97c5424ecd920e91f508866.png