Rebuild Update

Trevor

Nice - bet you must be excited now!

I could see where they balanced the pistons, but the rods were a bit more difficult - did they take weight off the bearing cap?

Since I'm a detail freak - what did they bore the cylinders out to? How much off the deck? Cylinder head? (You rembered the timing covers as well right?)

I'm assuming you only had them "clean" them up - but I'm curious how much was taken, and if it still falls within spec for the rings you got.

I also took a peak that the pictures of your porting. One thing I've seen when porting for PEAK power is to grind the intake guide flush with the intake runner - the theory is that there's no extreme exhaust gas to affect the guide so it doesn't really need to be as long as the exhaust. Not sure if I'd ever do it myself - but I thought I'd throw it out there for discussions sake.

Rabin

The weight for rod balancing was taken off the bearing cap. It seems that not much needed to be taken off, but you can see what was done here:

http://www.505turbo.com/snax/8-6-05-bottom...ed/IMG_1608.jpg

The stock bearing caps do not have that edge ground smooth, instead they are a straight 90 angle.

The cylinders were just honed as little as possible. My machinist said they were well within spec. The rings i got were oem replacement deves rings made for standard bore size of 91.7 mm. the package said that they were very slightly oversized and to check gaps. The gaps without any filing were too small, so i had to widen them out to spec as per the instructions. I'll try to remeasure the bore with my calipers this evening if i can but i dont know how accurate it will be since i dont really have something to put down inside the bore and expand. The other night i measured it at exactly 91.70 with the calipers but that doesn't really seem right... i didn't really take my time at it either.

There was a little corrosion where the firing rings seal around a few cylinders so that's the reason for the block surfacing. It was a pretty light skim, I think it was .01".

I originally forgot the timing covers but i took them over this morning to have him machine those too because the head is still there anyway. Thanks for the reminder ;-).

That's interesting about the valve guides. I was actually wondering what was normally done with those during a port job because they look a little intrusive in the port.

Pistons are in!

http://www.505turbo.com/tech_pistons_in.php

Haven't talked to elgin yet.  Gonna do stock cam for smog then probably check out the elgin scene once i figure out how much money i have left... haha.  I'm also wondering how the danielson would be with proper fuel/ignition tuning down low? hmm...

dunno, probably not much different. I wonder how high the power is really shifted upwards with the D cam. If it starts to fade at like 8k, dont you think we wouldn't loose anything by getting a cam with the power shifted down a bit? or would it be better to bump up the limiter to 7k (or higher mr balanced motor) and watch the power increase like a mofo cuz of higher revving? hmmmm