1982 Peugeot 604 - Is it worth it?

Hi Connor,

I moved this to it’s own topic instead of one 13yrs old.  :)

There’s no where near enough information on the car to provide you any help on the car.  Pictures and tons of details are your best bet, the more of each the better.

If it’s and actual 24K miles, garage only cream puff then absolutely, but anything else would just be guessing.

”Electrical love could be anything from cleaning grounds, to replacing the dash harness because a bad stereo install burned it up - so details are key.

Rabin

Thanks for making a separate topic. I was curious as to common issues with them, and how hard or easy it is to find parts. I be tempted to buy it just because of it being diesel. Essentially I'm curious as how much work on the car should be expected. I am somewhat mechanically inclined and don't mind minor stuff. But I would prefer to have a car that lasts a 2-3 years with minimal screwing with. Contacted seller about electrical issues: Windows inop / occasionally won’t start with key - blinkers on a box on floor with toggle.

@Bean

Screenshot_20210808-080900_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20210808-080854_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20210808-080848_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20210808-080844_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20210808-080841_Facebook.jpg

Damn - That does look pretty good, but the screen prints aren’t the greatest quality so it’s hard to zoom in for details.

99/100 electrical problems are poor connections due to unsealed electrical connectors, bad grounds, or the switch itself needs cleaning.

The diesel is likely a XD2S 2.3L turbo diesel that is usually quite stout.  The only thing that might possible crop up would be head gasket, but even that isn’t a big deal.

Pretty crazy to find one in Alaska, and they’re usually pretty cantankerous for cold starting (not a winter car), but you would be hard pressed to find a car that rides as nice or that has more comfortable seats than that car.

Only thing I can see off hand is it has / had mismatched wheels, or the 14’s maybe replaced the metric rims that were on it?  Either way a set of 15’s make it look quite a bit better, but will likely be pretty much impossible to find up there.

Rabin

@Bean In my eyes I think it could be worth it. I'm kind of waiting to see if the guy selling it will figure out why it doesn't start occasionally. Diesels are a little fun in the winter but I can keep it plugged in all the time and only need it 50 percent of the time anyways due to my current job. I will continue to follow up in the car because it seems kinds cool and unique. Thanks for the input big time!

Even when plugged in all the time you might have a hard time starting it in really cold weather.  That said - I have a car that was on a you tube cold start video unplugged in -20C and it started with no outside help.

I used to be a bush mechanic and had to get old ass diesel forestry equipment going in -30C and it wasn't fun - with it almost always ending up with a tiger torch on the block heating it up!

I definitely wouldn't recommend it as your daily, but with enough heaters on it, 0W diesel engine oil when it's cold, and perfect glow plugs it might be OK if the engine still has strong compression.

Intermittent start could be a fuel priming issue, or a leak in the fuel diaphram, or the glow plugs / glow plug circuit isn't 100%.

Rabin

@BeanI will keep that in mind for sure. I live in coastal alaska and it stays above -17 degrees Celsius (0 Fahrenheit) most of the time. My current parking situation would be it being outside all the time but close to a plug in. My work is 600 miles away and I stay at the work site for 3 weeks straight then go home 3 weeks. So I I need a vehicle for my 3 weeks where I'm at home 

• 10 months later...