Thermostat Specs

trymes

Not a big fan of jobber thermostats, and prefer to use OEM when I can.

I went with the Nissan one and was very happy with it - it just needs some minor mods as it hits the cover slightly and just needs to be clearanced.  

I also went with the rubber seal for the Nissan - worked great.  Just make to dry fit it before installing it to make sure all is good.

As an aside - I believe it was Bryan Cohn that installed a schrader valve in the cover as well to help bleed the cooling system.  Haven't done it yet - but these cars can be a bugger to bleed.  Should be a procedure in tech resourses for that as well.

Rabin

Interesting. I still need to fit the new gasket for the radiator fill cap, as that is weeping. It sounds like you needed to modify the outside diameter of the Nissan thermostat, plus make the groove around the housing thicker? In other words, your post makes it sound like the Nissan part is thicker around the edge (and slightly bigger diameter) than the original, and if you try to install it without modification, it doesn't seal properly, resulting in damage if you torque it down?

I started down this road because my car is also running cool, as you had mentioned yours was. I'm sure that the prior owner in Dallas had thought that was wonderful, with the heat down there, but I'd like it to be where it ought to be!

Tom

I believe I only did that so that it fit loosely in the cooling tank.  I've done the same mod on my 89' and it needed no trimming

I also opted to use the Nissan rubber ring that fits on the t-stat, but the paper gasket would be the better choice if it fits in the tanks snug 

Only thing to really watch g

For was the clearancing the cover on top, but it might not even be an issue with the paper gasket.

Rabin

Correct me if I am wrong here, but the thermostat and housing are on the front of the engine where the upper radiator hose connects, no? I ask because you mention the cooling tank.

It also sounds like the modifications were mostly to use the Nissan rubber ring instead of the normal gasket?