3HP22 to 4HP22 conversion - what's involved?

604TD

What does it take to convert a 3HP22 to 4HP22 trans?

4hp22 from the wreckers are readily available for just a couple hundred bucks, but what Peugeot specific parts would be needed?

My understanding is the bell housing is the main part?  Correct?  Is this bell housing used in any other vehicle?  Will the 3HP22 bell housing transfer to the 4HP22?

The diesel 4HP22 for the TD is exceptionally rare - one year only offering from 1986.

Pretty sure your car has the XD2s correct?  Depending on the year you may need the flywheel and starter from the donor car.  Knowing how many bolts that attach to flywheel is also something to note.

Aside from that - the Peugeot 4HP22 has a different tailshaft than other cars, and you'll need the driveshaft from a 505 sedan that had the same transmission.   

I think that's most of it...  

Once I 5sp swap my wagon I'll have the transmission swap parts, edit* - But the 5sp is shorter in length than the 4HP22 so you would need the 4HP22 driveshaft from any 505 sedan *except the V6* <- I think.

Rabin

Edited by Bean
Correction

Tailshaft yes - Bellhousing no (between gas and TD engines).

If your XD2s doesn't have the same crankshaft flexplate as the XD3T, then there would need to be other measurements done and likely a call to Brian Holm or Mike Aube to get the recipe to fit.

Simple swap would be to 5sp as the driveshaft is the same as the 3sp auto.  Would need to find 5sp parts, but they're WAY more common than TD 4sp auto parts.

4sp auto swap really would need access to an 86' 505 TD 4HP22 sedan - then you may as well swap the 2.5 XD3t in as well. (You at least need the transmission and driveshaft from one, but 4cyl gas and TD 4HP22 drive shafts *should* be the same length.  4sp is ~3.5" longer than the 3sp auto which is why an adapter plate won't really fix the issue.)

All that said - both my 4sp auto td wagon and my 5sp td sedan purr at 110-120 KPH - so I think it's well worth the effort to convert once you line up the parts. 

Rabin