505s alloy lug nuts

eboy999

Both of my Peugeots, when I had them, they were 505 "s" models with alloy wheels.  I was regularly having to go the dealer to buy replacement missing lug nuts (noticing I'd been driving around on 3 for God knows how long).  Given the design of the rotating collar and the aluminum construction, my deduction was that the lug nuts were over-torqued by the rubes at the local gas station when replacing the snow or summer tires.  That, and having had the experience of trying to change a tire, when the nuts were so tight I bent the lug wrench standing on it, trying to loosen the bolts.  (Had to call for reinforcements on that one... brother's wedding day of course).  Anyone else have this experience?  I know the east coast corrosion was really hard on these wheels as well. The alloys on the '82 were painted over, even at 1 year old when I got it.

Sorry to be asking so many questions, but I am trying to get another 505s to fulfill my dreams, so I am trying to educate myself.  There were no fora (or internet for that matter) when I had my last one.

Peugeot alloy wheel bolts are notorious for stretching when over tightened, if torqued properly no issues, when i was in college had the same problem with tire places snapping bolts when tightening, then i got tired buying peugeot bolts, and modified the wheels by cutting 60 degrees chamfers and using 10,9 standard wheel bolts, now on my daily driver i have them again but only on summer wheels, but nowadays i'm changing them myself and have not broken or striped a bolt ever, as for the hard to loosen, i'm using copper grease on the treads only, it helps tremendously.

If you use the search box, you will find a thread on lug nuts. 

Brian says 60 pounds.  You have to watch the monkeys with their impacts.  I suggest taking a torque wrench in with you, or DIY.

I had warped rotors shortly after my final go-around that I ate.  Mine were cheater-on-a-breaker bar tight.

-Bill

eboy, you probably already know this but for the benefit of any new-to-peugeot readers -- the 505 alloys are somewhat unique in the US in that the alloys use a ball-seat lug bolts, as opposed to the more common 60-degree conical seat. this is not unique, hondas use ball-seat lug nuts as well, but peugeots use 1.25-threaded lug bolts (as opposed to the more common 1.5-threaded used in hondas and most other cars). so peugeot 505s combine these two uncommon specs making their lug bolts/lug nuts unique.

i remember seeing adapter inserts for sale that fit in ball-seat alloys and permit one to use 60-degree conical seat lug bolts, not sure how well they work...

edit: here are some

• 2 years later...