1983 505 XN6 recommissioning

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 3/15/2017 at 1:46 PM, casm said:

Thinking of upgrading the radio now that one of the speakers has died.  Not going to do any crazy competition stuff, just a decent $200-ish upgrade to something with Bluetooth and some better speakers.

if you really want to go the thrifty route, you could get a "digital media receiver," it's basically a car stereo without a cd drive. i never use my cd drive any more, i stream off of my phone using bluetooth or usb, you're probably the same. crutchfield has a blaupunkt unit for about US$70, it has bluetooth plus usb/aux inputs. it even does RDS!

• 1 month later...
On 3/19/2017 at 10:35 PM, andrethx said:

if you really want to go the thrifty route, you could get a "digital media receiver," it's basically a car stereo without a cd drive. i never use my cd drive any more, i stream off of my phone using bluetooth or usb, you're probably the same. crutchfield has a blaupunkt unit for about US$70, it has bluetooth plus usb/aux inputs. it even does RDS!

Which is exactly the route I ended up taking ;)  Can't remember the last CD that I bought, let alone played, so I went with the Kenwood KMM-BT518HD.  My big requirements were hands-free phone, app control, and HD Radio (which I'm a huge fan of).  This one ticked all of the boxes and was under $100 with excellent reviews, so I bit the bullet.  It just arrived today and the speakers still need to be replaced, so it'll be a bit before it'll be heard in all of its glory, but it's going to be a massive improvement over the 10-year-old Sony deck that's in there now.

For the most part, the car is behaving well.  Current issues are a weak starter (have the replacement; waiting out the weather), and a distributor that doesn't like to time properly when the engine's hot.  Oh, and the speedo cable needs replacement.  Also looking into LED headlamp replacements, which I think I may have found workable (and DOT-approved) ones for.

Other than that, it's turned out to be a surprisingly solid car.  Currently putting about 300 miles per week on it and it just keeps going.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like tomorrow is starter replacement day - my wife went out to drive the car this morning, and got nothing but a click.  It's always been a breeze to get going first thing in the morning until now, but gets progressively-harder to start as the starter gets more and more heat-soaked during the day, so it looks like it's just had it.  The replacement's been sitting here for close to a month, but time and weather have meant that replacement had to hold off until there was an opening.

Distributor's going out for rebuild next week.  Similar symptoms to the starter: great when cold, but timing goes to hell when starting warm (though it mostly clears up after running for a couple of minutes).  Had it apart a few months ago to replace the vacuum advance and did what I could at the time, but it's just in need of proper attention.

Not sure if the wiring harness I built for the new stereo is quite right or not - it occasionally drops power to the head unit, but never at a time I can pinpoint as common.  I have my suspicions about the alternator (or, more specifically, the voltage regulator); it dates from 2004.  Will resolder the power side of the harness this weekend and see what happens.

No clue what's going on with the vacuum drive for the HVAC air direction.  The vacuum canister and hoses behind the dash appear to be OK, but still only output air on defrost.

Really need to replace the speedo cable; running down my phone's battery while using it as an ersatz speedometer replacement is getting old.

Turn signal switch ate death for right turns; expecting a replacement with the distributor.

In other words, it's a rear-drive Peugeot :)

Those symptoms sound familiar to me, i had a black 405 with XU5 1,6 carburetor, and after replacing two starters couple of batteries still voltage was dropping after a long drive and starter will barely turn over the engine, i eventually found the problem when i started replacing the alternator, the wire between the alternator and the starter feel strange and after twisting it green stuff started to show, replacing the thick cables to the starter, alternator, grounds to the battery and engine, main distribution block, fix all the problems that car had, even the radio you mention, after a hundred km passed it will start to change stations and emitting static all on its own, after the cables ware changed never did that.

Good point - after 34 years, the mains cables could be corroded internally and I'd never see it.  The terminal ends look fine, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the rest of them is OK.

I'll add it to the list of things to investigate while I'm in there doing the starter later today.  Have to break out the meter anyway to figure out where the problem affecting the A/C fan is (it's been suggested to check the resistor behind the left headlamps), so I'll spend some quality time with the big fat cables while I'm in there.

Starter's in.  Took almost 4 hours due to seized bolts and limited room to work in, but it's done.  Car now starts like it never has before when cold, but hot starts are still an issue.  This one is down to the distributor, but that'll be taken care of later this week.

The old starter is completely toast - running 12VDC to it directly via jumper cables results in nothing.  At least I can rule out the starter to battery cable as suspect (and it looks as though it was replaced in the last 2-3 years).  The other ones, though, will be replaced.

• 5 weeks later...

Got a second opinion on the distributor.  Turns out, it's working fine.  The issues that I was reading as timing-related were down to the fuel accumulator.

Replaced that today, but sheared one of the fuel pump mounts in the process.  Unfortunately, it's the one at the rear, which means that the fuel lines are rubbing on the rear trailing arm pivot.  Did a long-bolt fix to make it driveable, but found that the bolt that I used is backing out.  Going to order replacement mounts in the next day or two and toss them in; not really going to drive the car until those are done since I'd rather not rub the lines open and have them leak fuel all over the exhaust.

Need to pull the radiator at some point in the next week or two and send it out for hot-tanking.  The car's doing fine even in 90degF weather, but long inclines at speed have it getting above normal temperature.  No overheating, but I suspect that the radiator is in need of a better cleaning than I've managed with white vinegar and commercial radiator flushes.

Replaced all three fuel pump / accumulator mounts.  Everything is back in and the car is driving much better - it pulls noticeably more strongly through the rev range, and has lost a flat spot that previously came in around 3000rpm.

Now that that's working properly, I need to sort out the timing - it's close, but not quite 100% correct.  Speedo cable is also sitting here waiting to go in.  If it's not 10,000 degrees out again tomorrow I may take care of both of those.

I have a funny and somewhat embarrassing ignition timing story, at a young age before i had a driving licence i use to work and drive small rear engine fiat cars, i still have one that i never finished in my garage, the fiat 600 had clockwork rotating engine but the fiat 850 had canter clockwork rotating, and i having many spare parts put in a 850 starter on a 600 engine and cloud not get it timed right, it use to run rough and backfire, put a timing light and seam to retard the ignition wich was strange but i still did not realized my mistake, after messing with it for half an hour a friend suggested maybe the carb is dirty try to run it hard to unclog, so i select reverse and the car go forwards try again the same, try first go  backwards, then i realized that i've fired up the engine backwards, push started it in gear runs like a champ, i'll never forget that, i know newer engine could not be started backwards but at that age that simple engine, taught me a lot.