Identification help needed

danlang2000

Hi, I'm new to the forum and have joined to become informed about a diesel engine that I am interested in transplanting into my Ford Ranger 4WD truck. The engine and auto trans. are out of the vehicle and have been in storage for 6 yrs. The engine looks to be in clean shape and the crank turns by hand but the dipstick didn't show any oil. Engine has a mechanical IP and is complete with wiring harness. Before I commit to buying the engine I'd like to know something about it... the numbers we got from the block are: XO307815X and on the transmission: 3HP22 and also 73093. If any one could help me identify the engine and tranny, I'd be extremely appreciative, and also would like to hear any other advice about these parts...ie; reliability,weaknesses/strengths,pitfalls etc..Thanks in advance Dan by the way, I have VW diesels and have done a fair amount of work on them maintenance wise. :unsure:

Hi Dan, Welcome to the forum!

I personally can't help with just the serial number, but there should be an XD2 or cast into the head.

You don't mention a turbo, so if you're "lucky" it's a 2.3L XD2 diesel. Lucky in quotes because the non-turbo diesels have pretty sedate power levels. If I were you I would hold out for a turbo diesel for your ranger.

Rabin

Sweet! It could be either the XD2S 2.3L or it could be the XD3T 2.5L motor.

It's pretty much the exact same injection system as the VW, so if you've tuned/worked on them much at all the Peugeot should be cake.

Rabin

the transmission is the ZF 3hp22, a three-speed automatic. these units were used in a lot of different cars including BMWs.

there are a number of other transmissions that were used with this engine, so if you are not crazy about the 3-speed auto you will probably have some options. additionally, peugeot manual transmissions were used with jeeps in this period (80s, AMC era) and they were not too popular with owners so there's a lot of information out there about swaps...you may even find some bell housings, etc. that you can adapt to your situation...

good luck!

andré

Andre brings up a good point as the diff ratios in the Ranger will need to work with the 3sp so that you're capable of decent high cruise speed...

Too low (numerically higher) gearing and it'll rev out too soon to be useful.

Rabin

Thanks for the tranny info Andre and Rabin, I'm wondering if this transmission would be durable enough to handle the work of my truck hauling the 1000lb camper and light snowplowing (provided that I'm able to adapt my 4WD transfer case to the output shaft). I'm surprised that there isn't a provision for an external cooler(usually to the radiator), and that gives me some concern about it's capability too... Any thoughts on this? Dan

people love to tow things with their peugeots, especially peugeots of the vintage of your engine/transmission combo. how many of those used/use automatic transmissions, i can't say.

the diesel engine (even the turbodiesel) and the automatic transmission combo are not known for being especially peppy, though YMMV in a truck with a different drive setup. speaking of mileage, peugeot's diesels of that era had decent torque and fuel economy and are extremely rugged and durable (if cared for properly). peugeot's diesels, then and now, are as good as anybody's.

there was never a 5-speed automatic attached to this engine, so the only way you'd get that would be a custom setup with significant fabrication.

by the mid 80s (1986 to be specific), the 505s had 4-speed ZF 4hp22 automatic transmissions on the gas and diesel models. late model peugeot diesels are hard to find here as diesels for passenger cars had begun to fall out of favor in the US by then, but the swaps are certainly doable and i've heard of a few instances here and there.

FWIW, peugeot diesel drivetrains of this era were used in european 4x4s that were not sold here, most notably the portugese umm alter. you might be able to find good information/inspiration by researching those vehicles.

your best bet is to contact somebody like brian holm of peugeot holm (in vermont, see the Vendors section on our main page); brian has a lot full of parts cars and, more importantly, can tell you exactly what parts you'd need to bolt up an 4hp22 to your XD diesel. there are probably a few people here on the forum who can also give you a good idea about this setup. one thing they won't be able to tell you is how this peugeot drivetrain would fit into your ranger; AFAIK that's a pretty exotic combination. if you go through with this, please let us know how it goes.