fire-rings

N9TE

So, progress is coming along just great on the re-assembly. I close on a new house in 5 days, so I'm under the gun to get this car running.

I'm putting on the water tank (no gasket there, right?) and I look over and what do I see on my workbench? 4 fire-rings. Damn!

I must get this done in the next 24 hours.

I think I'll be able to fire up tomorrow morning and have enough time for a 6 hours cool down and then a re-torque. My new house is 25 miles away.

How critical are the fire rings? I plan on putting them in when I get to the new house and things settle down, but can I put an hour on the engine before damage is done? There will be no racing, big boosting, etc. I just want to get it running on it's own power, a retorque in and that's it.

Thanks,

Are you talking about the rings that fit in the exhaust ports? If so you should be totally fine for the short trip.

Water tank does use a gasket (mounting flange to head) - easy to make out of gasket paper.

Rabin

That is funny - my kit had multiples!

Another option I'm looking at are modern assembly adhesives specified by newer engines. Volvo's use quite a few tube style gasket compounds for engine assemblies.

Rabin