Peugeot diesel identification!!!

Komatsu160

Let me start off by saying hi. My name is Kenny and this is my first time posting on the forum.i'm looking for information about a Peugeot diesel that is in my boat. after doing a bunch of research the vetus Diesel that is in my boat I have identified as being a Peugeot. The motor seems to be the same model as the ones in these cars. This boat and motor combination was original and ran great I never had one problem with the motor I put the boat away for the winter The tarp ripped leaves blew in and it flooded the motor so now I'm in search for a replacement. With all the bad at least I learned that Peugeot cars with diesel's are in the US and I really want to buy one!

post-1874-0-85018300-1437240480_thumb.jp

post-1874-0-91386900-1437240531_thumb.jp

post-1874-0-31017700-1437240625_thumb.jp

welcome!

this is a peugeot/indenor diesel engine modified for marine use (most likely by vetus or volvo/penta). IIRC, the "p 179" on the block means that it is an XD3 motor, 2,498 cc.

in the first picture -- underneath where your hands are, on the manifold, there should be a little ID plaque if its'a volvo/penta. i think that vetus engines were painted yellow, VPs blue or red (i can't recall). vetus engines don't have the plaque, so that may be what you have.

andré

Hi Kenny -

Andre seems to have quite the handle on marine versions, I can only add that you might also find the XD3 code cast into the head as well.

As for cars - we never got the normally aspirated XD3 in any of the cars, but we did get the 2.3L XD2 motors in early 80's 504 and 505's. More common was the turbo diesel XD2S 2.3L turbo engines, followed by the XD3T 2.5L turbo diesel engines.

I can't tell you if compression changed between your non-turbo marine engine and the turbo version in the cars - but if they are the same you'd be in luck. Not sure if running a turbo diesel in your boat is of interest, but if you did I suspect you could run a bigger prop with the added power since the cars were rated at 95 HP.

Rabin