505 turbo water pump removal / disassembly

i remember hearing in the past that the N9T water pump was tricky to get apart / put back together. I need to take one apart, and can't get the thing apart with the tools i have.

peugeotpete on peugeot-L:

As Brian pointed out the job is tricky. Without proper tools, as Jim

does, press the shaft out of the pump, then out of the clutch, this saves the

clutch. I use a socket on the back of the new pump shaft and press the clutch on,

but only so far, as the brush must align with the commutator (brass ring) on

the clutch. I use a punch through the brush mount hole to align the commutator

and stop when it centers.

from the looks of it, the clutch has to come off first, but then shaft comes out which is backwards to what pete is talking about..

has anyone done this, or had this done by a machine shop that has done it right (if so what special instructions did you give)?

I've done it once. It's over 03:00 AM here in Finland, so I don't write an article about this operation right now but here are some pictures that should help. ;-)

http://peugeot505.info/index.php?spgmGal=T...h&id=images

http://peugeot505.info/index.php?spgmGal=T...2&id=images

http://peugeot505.info/index.php?spgmGal=T...3&id=images

And here's some other link I found:

http://www.peugeot505.net/tech/fanclutch.html

• 3 weeks later...
Guest the505inme

Since I have to remove my rad, I think it's a good time to do other things that are in the area.

So, I think I'll remove and replace the water pump, and I would like to address the rattly timing chain.

1) are there any tricks to getting the water pump out?

2) I understand that the timing chain tensioner is no longer available....what have other people done?

I think part of the reason for my rattle is that the head has been shaved twice. I moved that adjustable metal guide as fas as it goes, BTW.

Still rattles when hot above idle, and on deaccel.......

Did you manage to dissamble the water pump?

unfortunately i haven't yet. a few of the other parts of the project have had some priority changes. i'm hoping to do it, or get it done at some point in the near future.

1) are there any tricks to getting the water pump out?

2) I understand that the timing chain tensioner is no longer available....what have other people done?

I think part of the reason for my rattle is that the head has been shaved twice. I moved that adjustable metal guide as fas as it goes, BTW.

Still rattles when hot above idle, and on deaccel.......

getting the water pump out was no problem for me, but i also had the radiator and fan out when i started on it.

strange about the chain rattle, never heard that one before. are you sure its the timing chain making the noise?

also, here's the discussion about the tensioner, availability, and alternatives:

http://www.505turbo.com/forum/index.php?sh...mp;hl=tensioner

Guest the505inme

unfortunately i haven't yet. a few of the other parts of the project have had some priority changes. i'm hoping to do it, or get it done at some point in the near future.

getting the water pump out was no problem for me, but i also had the radiator and fan out when i started on it.

strange about the chain rattle, never heard that one before. are you sure its the timing chain making the noise?

also, here's the discussion about the tensioner, availability, and alternatives:

http://www.505turbo.com/forum/index.php?sh...mp;hl=tensioner

I'm pretty sure it's the t chain, the noise is high and only when hot on de accel or off idle standing. People on Peug-l have suggested that it may be the oil pump chain, and Matra people have fixed it using spacers.

I'm pretty sure it's the t chain, the noise is high and only when hot on de accel or off idle standing. People on Peug-l have suggested that it may be the oil pump chain, and Matra people have fixed it using spacers.

Bit doupting oil pump chain? Thats short and there is nowhere to hit. I bet worn or too long (due head machining) main chain. Bad thing is at when chain is long enough, tensioner can come out and rest is not so happy ending... (seen this in one engine).

V-M

Has anyone checked for replacement timing chains? I'm assuming they're NLA as well - so now I'm wondering if we'd be able to spec out a replacement chain that we could have made up.

I can't see it being that hard so long as we have the spec for the chain. It's a well lubricated environment, so I don't think we'd have to worry about breakage of the connector link with today's chaing technology...

I pick up the 2.3L pistons late August, and once I have my spare engine apart I can see if any of the industrial places can duplicate the chain. If anyone has the chain spec or has checked before - please tell us the result...

Rabin

That is regular chain, used in many cars only lenght is different. So longer is ok if there is lock witch can be opened and then only thing is to shorten chain (easy job). Also continus chain can be shortened but it needs some special tool to close it back (some repair shops have it).

Specks:

Oil chain 3/8" X 7/32" 48 lenks (18/G 67 48) (JIWS chain markings)

Main chain 3/8 X 7/32" 98 lenks (29/D 67 98) (JIWS chain markings)

V-M

I purshaced chain, tensioner and chain wheels at a matra supplyer i Germany - Simon Automobiltechnic.

My chain was also noisy.

whoa, excellent, thanks NorPug!

http://www.simon-auto.de/

this is pulled from the murena 2.2 engine diagram with part numbers:

murena_2.2_fengine.jpg

Murena 2.2 Engine catalog PDF

Looking at the price list, this looks like the skinny as far as i can tell:

- 01 108 - main timing chain = 36 euro

- 01 113 - chain tensioner = 26 euro

now, those are the "ohne Mwst" prices, the "Mit 16% Mwst" prices are a bit higher.. not sure what we would get charged. anyone know what those things mean?

Pricelist PDF

Guest the505inme

I purshaced chain, tensioner and chain wheels at a matra supplyer i Germany - Simon Automobiltechnic.

My chain was also noisy.

Did you ever have the head shaved on this car? Did installing all these parts stop the noise?

Did you ever have the head shaved on this car? Did installing all these parts stop the noise?

My head have been shaved twice, my block ones. I've didn't hear the noise before my tuner told me. He thought the chain ratteled a bit when he was listening for ignition knock.

So when I pulled out my engine for the second time overhaul I changed the chain, wheel and tensioner.

My engine have 270 000km on it so I thought the time had come anyway.

What is the recommended interval for changing the chain?

whoa, excellent, thanks NorPug!

http://www.simon-auto.de/

this is pulled from the murena 2.2 engine diagram with part numbers:

murena_2.2_fengine.jpg

Murena 2.2 Engine catalog PDF

Looking at the price list, this looks like the skinny as far as i can tell:

- 01 108 - main timing chain = 36 euro

- 01 113 - chain tensioner = 26 euro

now, those are the "ohne Mwst" prices, the "Mit 16% Mwst" prices are a bit higher.. not sure what we would get charged. anyone know what those things mean?

Pricelist PDF

I paid the prices without "16%"