FS 88 505S Turbo complete, runs

BIll T

This has been my daily driver for the past year; Ive owned it for about 10 yrs. The head/gasket finally really gave out a couple of days ago. Lot's of blue/white smoke. Ran great up til then with some air flow meter issues; started up at 0F no problem

Great rims/tires- wider profile H rateds

Great interior- driver seat sags though. no leather rips etc.

Gray exterior/and interior

Not alot of rust, no dent, strut towers are very good

Rear arms are good; at least one replaced and both treated with heavy grease inside and out

All interior hardware works well

sunroof/ABS is long gone

New starter and alternator in past year

Lots of years of parts and service, primarily thru B Holm and local garage

Aftermarket XMFM CD (Pioneer)

20+ year 505 owner

Car is in Framingham, MA or Belmont, MA. Can be driven but smokes alot.

800. obo

[email protected]

Were / are you getting bubbles in the reservoir?

If not - it could likely just be the turbo seals are shot...

I've seen the latter happen, so just wanted to make sure the diagnosis was good before you let it go.

Car looks good - more detailed pics would be great as well as more details. (Miles? auto or 5 sp? Abs removed or not working? Etc etc)

Rabin

The smoke is very serious and I think the turbo stopped spinning as well. Wouldn't that put alot of vacuum into the cylinders when accelerating... ?

On the day of the turbo stopping working, it I tried any moderate acceleration, it created a huge plume. Also, the oil had been quite "mocha frappacino" in the filler cap lately. So Im assuming that this degraded oil contributed to the bearings failing on the turbo. It had been making some interiesting overtone harmonics as of late.

It has been burning oil and coolant alot lately, as a back drop to this whole episode. I probably ran it 1 qt low several times, not keeping up with the top ups. But, that said the thing ran beautifully on the highway right till the day the serious smoking started

No bubbles in the overflow, but I have been running without the cap on the reservoir for a couple of years- I know not a good practice but needed it at the time

I think I really want to go back to a one P505 status. My 86 xn6 is so nice and solid in comparison, if on the stodgy side

So, that's it. Anyone want to offer me 500 for it or name a reasonable price. But ...!SOON! >> [email protected]

It definitely sounds like turbo which is an easy fix...

Someone is going to get a heck of a deal - If I was closer I'd be all over this as Ive got spare turbo's.

Btw - 5sp manual or auto?

Rabin

Rabin,

It most likely is both. But yes, it could be a great car again.

As mentioned, it ran and runs well; 45 mile round trip commute through last summer and this winter.

Is replacing/rebuilding the turbo expensive? though Im a 505 lifer, Im not a diy er.

Im a did-er .......do it yourself diagnoser, sort of.

Its an auto : ( But it also behaves very nicely and the fluid is not 'cooked')

but make me an offer soon! The tires and rims alone are worth something.

I forgot to mention also, no rust along the fender aprons under the hood. Unlike my 86?!...whats up with that?

The rear quarter panel under the antenna is rotted through, but not ugly from 15ft away etc.

Please email me with any interest [email protected]