Upper radiator X2DS hoze - make your own

pug505usa

The upper radiator hoze for my turbo diesel is the weird J shape one. it was badly cracked and I was really afraid of having issues soon since I started to drive my 505 to work. Western Hemisphere has it for $73. Mister-Auto or yakarouler in France has it for about 20 euros but I have had issues with them sending wrong items and I did not want to wait to long. So I went to Autozone and made my own with galvanized tube fitings and the best hozes I could find. It is not very pretty and it is nothing to be proud of but it works well for lack of funds. I have driven over a 100 miles now with most of it in the hightway at 60mph and it run just fine with no leak... I thought I would just share the idea which again is not very pretty...

this is the old one

post-1541-0-47925000-1418173578_thumb.jp

post-1541-0-94143900-1418173740_thumb.jp

post-1541-0-46856900-1418173928_thumb.jp

below is how it looks at the end...

post-1541-0-64308100-1418174095_thumb.jp

IIRC the different sizes of the two ends of the hose (water pump side is bigger diameter than radiator size) makes that a tricky piece to replace. not beautiful but glad it works! those couplings introduce possible fail points so you should probably check them from time to time (more than you would with the regular hose). but if you have enough knowledge to kludge up something like that setup, you probably already know that.... :)

if you decide to replace that setup with the OE part later on, you could check with our usual vendors. they might be a bit cheaper than WH, maybe not.

andré

• 3 weeks later...

I have several of these [1343.77] in stock new, for $45 each to 505Turbo readers if you identify yourself.

The early TD hose [1343.49], that holds the 'stat and goes to the driver side of the rad, is a real problem though.

The ones currently available are not big enough to hold the 'stat. I have 404/505 gas hoses that are correct at

the bottom, but I can't figure out how to splice them to something that will work at the top.