New alum rad is here

geo

Well, I've received my beautiful new custom aluminum radiator and Spal fan combination from Griffin. (Notice that they added the trans cooler from my old rad.) I had a machine shop cut the shaft off the water pump I bought from Nick on the forum for clearance (thanks Nick!) Just picked up an OEM water pump gasket from Rob @ Javel. So tomorrow I plan to install the whole mess and let's hope it works and gets the SW8 back on the road. She's been very bored sitting in the garage for months.

-George

post-229-1284262435.jpg

Holy crap George! You don't mess around...

That set up looks fantastic - a very nice high end solution and I'm impressed with how nice a job they did on it.

Please tell me though that you machined the magnetic fan assembly rather than the shaft... (pulley still needs to turn the water pump!)

My only suggestion is that you may look at using the rad fan sensor in the rad to trigger relays that in turn feed those SPAL fans. When I did my electric fan I just used the wire at the brush to trigger the single 14" fan and it was fine - but since you have two relaying the feed is likely prudent.

The magnetic fan is a decent load - So I figured it was fine to run the single fan...

Rabin

PS: Pics of the install would be awesome.

Holy crap George! You don't mess around...

That set up looks fantastic - a very nice high end solution and I'm impressed with how nice a job they did on it.

Please tell me though that you machined the magnetic fan assembly rather than the shaft... (pulley still needs to turn the water pump!)

My only suggestion is that you may look at using the rad fan sensor in the rad to trigger relays that in turn feed those SPAL fans. When I did my electric fan I just used the wire at the brush to trigger the single 14" fan and it was fine - but since you have two relaying the feed is likely prudent.

The magnetic fan is a decent load - So I figured it was fine to run the single fan...

Rabin

PS: Pics of the install would be awesome.

Thanks Rabin. Yes, I just removed the fan and clutch assembly and had the water pump shaft forward of the pulley cut off. There is plenty of clearance now for these low profile Spal fans on the water pump side, and the power steering side is closer, but still OK. I decided not to go with the electric water pump conversion.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did buy two relays for the fans, that I will drive from the old fan clutch circuit. I think the current draw would be too great otherwise.

I had a bit of a hiccup today. They didn't machine the water level sensor hole big enough for the sensor to actually fit. I'm upset to say the least, since they had both the sensor and the old radiator to make sure it was right. I've sent them an email, but I don't know what the solution will be. It may be easiest to bring it to my local machine shop and have them bore it out. I like the level detection feature, so I don't want to just cap it off after having it machined in the first place.

I'll post pics when it is all working (Optimism!)

George

Good to hear about the shaft. I felt bad even asking - but I had too just to make sure!

Did they do a good job on the threaded part for the level sensor cap to screw on? I'd check that as well before sending it back.

Hopefully they take it back and cover (or partially cover) shipping expenses. I would definitley look at doing the same thing - especially if they now have the pattern and can duplicate it without having the old items on hand...

I had initially thought of just using a race rad - but that custom rad is such an elegant solution I'm thinking it might be worth the $$. If you don't mind sharing the cost - that would be appreciated as well.

Can't wait to see pics!

Rabin

• 4 months later...

Hey George -- what was the final resolution with Griffin? Did the install go okay? Pics?

Thanks,

Andre

Griffin fixed it for free and it works great. I'll post more pics and details next week.