Hose on top of turbo?

pug505usa

When I remove this hose on top of the turbo of my X2DS it actually runs better... Does that make sense? Currently it has not been driving very well because of a terrible loss of power... I haven't been able to really figure it out but when I accidentally disconnected this hose while doing an oil change it had better acceleration... is my Turbo bad? this lead to another question... what does it take to convert a Turbo diesel to a non turbo? is it possible?

post-1541-0-24054500-1417494772_thumb.jp

i know very little about diesels....and I'm sure one of the more diesel-knowledgeable members of this forum (rabin, jeff, joe or dave) will have an exact answer for you. but it seems to me, that if a hose becomes disconnected and the engine runs better, than that hose must be related to the pcv system and you must have a clogged pcv valve somewhere.....

just spitballing.... :)

andré

• 4 weeks later...

That is the wastegate pressure hose. Apparently your wastegate valve is opening too soon under pressure

but does close with no pressure. That would suggest that the spring in the wastegate valve is too weak.

To diagnose you might try Teeing a pressure gauge into that line to monitor the boost pressure, which should

go to 8.6 psi at 2000 rpm. Note what it goes to. Then unplug the hose from the turbo and plug it with your finger.

Carefully rev the engine until you get 8 or 9 psi. If you get that at around 2k rpm, your turbo is ok but the wastegate

controller is not. Driving with the hose disconnected could be hazardous to your engine if the boost goes above 9psi.