N9T modification

keebs

If I don't do the EFR (that has it built in), I wanted to use Snapse Engineering recirculating valve and external wastegate.

http://www.synapseengineering.com/v4/dv/

OEM bolts would be OK for standard boost, but I want to be able to boost to fuel limits if I want too which should be easily double stock boost levels, so the added security of stronger ARP head studs is appealing.

Rabin

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Audi part# 06A145710N, BMWs and 911s use the same style valve. If you still cant source one I suggest buying aftermarket made in country. My bosch leaked too. I think the dsm valves are 2 bolt flange, but not too sure.

The oem bolts should be fine, but if I can get studs I will. Most of our head gaskets seem to be marginal anyway so any insurance is good.

Thanks for that info and all that is shared.

I'll check the number. i used some of your egt tuning on Sunday. I used it with the idle ignition timing.

A bit of old mechanic Sunday thinkin' lead me to this, "If an engine is to have a strong solid idle, it needs perfect "power" mixture ( 12.5 :1) and the timing at the best point. Best ignition point with best air fuel means the least amount of heat in the exhaust pipe"

So as the engine sat idling I advanced and retarded the idle ignition 4 or 5 degrees either way and watched the EGT. It got to 330 C or 329C minimum. That has got to be the best ignition point!

It has also reduced the cooling fan cycling remarkably. The cam is 280 seat to seat and 240 at 0.050" clearance and it sits and holds fan, lights etc. idling at 970 rpm. That is 20 rpm over a stock cam.

Pretty happy with that!

Turns out 16 now to 15 before, but the egt , cold start and running is a lot different. A simple and measured way to find that sweet spot! I fill 16 in on the map from 700 to 1200, 15 kpa either side of the idle manifold pressure . Static at 13 which fires up well in all temps and the path from crank to idle is constant. Good simple stuff to keep in the memory bank.

Had a few talks with ARP this week and they're currently working on a price for one set of head studs. If anyone wants head studs call 805-525-1497 and show some interest or it wont happen. The spec is

M12x1.25-30mm long block thread.

M12x1.00-25mm long nut thread.

205mm overall length.

10 studs per block.

Edited: Quick google found M12x1.00 nuts. :)

Anybody in particular to speak too, or specific deal to reference?

I'm in for one set as long as pricing isn't really absurd - two sets if it's verging on reasonable.

Rabin

Talked to two different guys didn't catch their names. Don't have a specific deal, but if they get enough calls they will have to do a production run. Tell all, anyone popular in the matra forums? Even people without the n9t should call and act interested, one production run would cover us for 20 years.

$600 for studs for one motor is well beyond my means. I'd much rather spend $500 on the timesert kit and do all my motors to fit existing studs.

Another option would be to just drill out and tap to a slightly bigger SAE size that had readily available size in ARP studs. With the right fixture it should be easy enough to do.

Rabin

Any chance there was any discussion on at what point there would be price drops due to volume? With effort we should be able to get 5 - 10 sets, but that still might not offset costs very much.

Rabin

I called and voiced interest - but the person didn't seem to care either way - I'll try again if there's someone specific to talk to.

On another note I should have pricing on MLS head gaskets, silicone valve cover and oil pan gaskets, and metal exhaust manifold gaskets.

Rabin

My comment from 150$ was on based just arp net search like this one -> http://www.summitracing.com/int/search/brand/arp/product-line/arp-pro-series-cylinder-head-stud-kits?SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending&N=400295%2B315797%2B4294948658

Some one has taken original bolt measurements? Maybe some other brand car manuf bolt set will do the job.

Answering to my self. M12 (19mm head), bolt length 190mm, threath lenght 27mm and lift 1,25

V-M