My New Ride

I bought that car, and I know, I know, I spent too much, but I got emotionally involved. Now, my other '91, with the rebuilt engine and excellent tranny, all drivetrain components replaced, is a southern car, very solid with only a few small rust spots. That is the car with the vibration. The paint is OK, but nothing to brag about.

I shall be entertaining offers on that car soon. I am getting the AC charged (new condenser) and my mechanic is trying a few more things to get rid of the vibration on his dime because he is an honorable man. Hurry if you want to make me an offer, because I'm sure the response will be overwhelming.

I am more than likely flying to Tennessee and driving back to NH, after weighing the comparative costs and after hearing horror stories about transport companies (although I've shipped three and have had good luck.

Bill

congrats bill, hope it works out well for you.

can you post some pictures of an item number? i haven't been looking at ebay much lately :(

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...TRK%3AMEWN%3AIT

Thanks, August, for the kind words.

I'm not sure the item is still visible.

I'll post pic's after the Euro lamps and new fogs are installed.

Bill

• 1 year later...

Hello Again,

This baby went in for new U-joint and a new hysterese spring. My mechanic's trained ape knocked over the table holding the valve body and lost a ball. Subsequently, the transmission was reinstalled without it and the transmission fait caca almost instantly. The tranny is rebuilt on his dime now, but I have a few questions. We'll call it the bonus round, and there might be wonderful parting gifts, but don't get your hopes up.

1. Of the four infamous relays in the much-ballyhooed "black plastic bag," I know we have an injection relay, an ignition relay, an AC cutout relay, and a ? What's the fourth one do?

2. I'm getting no boost. I'm also seem to be getting no vacuum to the HVAC control panel: I can hear things happening inside when I push the buttons. May this be related? If not, where does the line which supplies vacuum to the HVAC control panel penetrate the firewall?

3. If there's no boost, what might be the causes?

Thanks for your help on these questions.

Bill

Hello Again,

This baby went in for new U-joint and a new hysterese spring. My mechanic's trained ape knocked over the table holding the valve body and lost a ball. Subsequently, the transmission was reinstalled without it and the transmission fait caca almost instantly. The tranny is rebuilt on his dime now, but I have a few questions. We'll call it the bonus round, and there might be wonderful parting gifts, but don't get your hopes up.

Bill

damn!!

all because of a monkey?? :D

damn!!

all because of a monkey?? :D

There might be an additional relay in the plastic bag to give more current to the starter. It was a factory approved modification.

I have had my SW8 act the same way (no boost, no HVAC controls) and it was from a disconnected vacuum line at the intake manifold.

George

Hello Again,

1. Of the four infamous relays in the much-ballyhooed "black plastic bag," I know we have an injection relay, an ignition relay, an AC cutout relay, and a ? What's the fourth one do?

2. I'm getting no boost. I'm also seem to be getting no vacuum to the HVAC control panel: I can hear things happening inside when I push the buttons. May this be related? If not, where does the line which supplies vacuum to the HVAC control panel penetrate the firewall?

3. If there's no boost, what might be the causes?

Thanks for your help on these questions.

Bill

Check the vacuum hoses. Both at the HVAC and the wastegate actuator. In fact, I can pretty guarantee that one fell off at the HVAC control panel. Those seem pretty reliable and if you're pushing buttons and getting nothing, I'm quite sure one fell off. You know how to disassemble that stuff, right? Pretty easy, just take your time. I think you can do the whole thing with a #2 phillips. A substantial vacuum leak will effect turbo performance.

Check the vacuum hoses.

Ok, the car is back on the road, shifts like butter, vacuum hoses replaced[(!)and I'd never tell you I told you so], I have a small hang with the governor in first when cold which is slowly getting better and the boost is OK but not enough. The very same trained ape who knocked the valve body over was instructed to give the actuator adjusting rod at least four full turns did not hold the other end and just spin the rod uselessly.

I'm so happy with the car now, even more so than before the drive train maintenance improvements. A few more repairs: new rear speakers (a must), new HVAC control slider (no full speed blower), one missing rear marker light in the bumper, check for a bent wheel.

Thanks everyone for their encouragement.