Passenger side taillight fuse burning out.

My '87 505 STX is going through the 7.5A fuses for the passenger side taillight. I had replaced the fuse recently but the other night she was pulled over for having the taillight out. Thankfully she just got a warning, but I would like to correct this so it does not happen again.

I'm suspecting there is an issue on the printed taillight card, but want to confirm that is the issue. My solution would be to bypass the card and manually wire the lights.

Am I on the right path or any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Peeter

Blowing the fuse is either a short to ground which should blow the fuse immediately, or it could be a bad bulb / corrosion drawing too much current.

Quick fix that often works on the connector is to clean contacts on board and connector, then assemble with a thin plastic or cardboard shim so that it slides into the connector with the board.

Cleaning the grounding tree in the driver side rear quarter panel is also strongly advised.

Rabin

• 4 weeks later...

When car is not running:

1. Turn your lights on,

2. Unsecure the taillight,

3. Put it back in slowly, touching the screws to vehicles drilled holes every once and while on re-entry,

4. Repeat slowly and watch for sparking when touching outside edges or a light to go out and on.

Do the screws on the back of the taillight make a spark when putting it through the holes to secure it?

Does it cause a light to then shut off/on?

Blow a fuse?

Then it's a grounding problem right at the light itself and quick fix. Could try rubber around the holes or electrical/duct tape. May lead to bulbs not functioning properly and possible fuse problems. Happened to me, took a hour to figure out and fix by just applying rubber to the holes and sticking lamp back in to secure it, no problems since.

Thats very weird that the mounting studs are grounding the light out. The circuit board inside has its own ground, and it should not be using the mounting studs.

Has there been any funky rewiring done on the circuit board? I'm not even sure thats possible in a stock set up as the circuit board is in a plastic housing, as are the mounting studs.

Rabin

Not for mine, just a normal circuit board. Its not the harness contacting body either when placing it on. I even retaped electrical wires for extra protection. The mounting studs on my vehicle are metal and touches metal body. Grounds it right out, shuts off 1 of the bulbs in each tail light (left - turns off signal, right- turns off a running taillight bulb).

(505- 1985 late year model, XN6, 1986 release)

Mounting studs are metal yes; but are studs also mounted in a metal housing? Can you post a picture of the tail light housing?

Something is shorting to ground, its not working as designed but you've isolated the issue which is the hardest part.

Rabin

update: I cleaned the contacts on the board and connector as well as all the lamp holders, added a cardboard wedge to keep things tight and things have been fine for the past few weeks. One of the connecting points is a bit worn and may have been causing problems. I'm keeping an eye on it.

Peeter