interesting product for ignition system conversion

andrethx

this guy ideola (real name, dan beckett) is my one of my heroes. he is a 924 owner/enthusiast who has created his own company that produces and sells hard-to-find parts for porsche 924s. i've communicated with him and he's very friendly and helpful.

one of the products he sells is for ignition conversions to megasquirt, etc. -- it's a combination distributor block-off/coil mount. pretty slick!

closeup_zpsf3af5ffe.jpg

comparison_zps461a7e41.jpg

andré

I spent a fair bit of time both on the website and the FB page and I fully agree - he's my hero too now!

I'd love to be able to build up a similar business for Peugeot's replacing NLA items with better than original items. Couple guys have started in Europe, but it would be nice to have something in North America that worked with existing guys in Europe as well as out own line of products.

What I'd love to know is how he managed to do things like the MLS head gasket. Last time I checked the min order was going to be ~$5k to order enough gaskets before they'd invest in the tooling needed.

Rabin

What I'd love to know is how he managed to do things like the MLS head gasket. Last time I checked the min order was going to be ~$5k to order enough gaskets before they'd invest in the tooling needed.

i've watched dan's site over time, and i get the impression that he plows whatever profits he makes back into new product development. so he probably fronted the $5k himself. i say this because he has rolled out a continuous stream of new products in the few years that i've been watching his site. this is not his main gig, he is a web developer or something like that so i don't think he's getting rich from ideola's garage.

if you ever want to start a similar business for peugeots and you need help, i'm on board. i have several ideas for better-than-original replacements for NLA items. the big problem is we have such a small community here in north america...

andré

I do want to pursue something along the line that Dan is doing, but being happily married (and wanting to stay that way) means I really can't front any costs to get the ball rolling...

What struck me most was I have resisted the idea somewhat because our community is so small - but seeing Dan's niche site catering to 924's and realizing "Are we that much smaller that the remaining 924 community?"

Andre - Have you ever spoken with Dan directly? I'm really tempted to call him up to see if he's willing to discuss some aspects of how he started up. I think we both are in a position where a venture like this isn't needed financially - so re-investing any profits back into more R&D and more product is exactly how I'd like to operate.

Dan's new garage / shop on FB is pretty darn nice too - thoroughly jealous! Even the engine builds he has pictures of are amazing.

Rabin

One comment about the coil pack mount on that distributor stub... While it allows the engine to look a lot more like stock - mounting the coil pack to the engine like that subjects it to a lot of vibration which is the enemy of any electric device like that. While they are built to take it to an extent - I would mount mine on the body and have short wires to the plugs... :)

Sure is inspiring to see what that 924 enthusiast community has been able to do... :)

Rabin