Glass Vendor for a Peugeot 505?

roche

Hi all, I'm new because I just got my first Peugeot a couple weeks ago. I'm also not very smart. I picked up a beer keg and didn't tie it down, and it slid across the back deck and right through the rear window.

My question:
Is there any glass vendor on the west coast? I'm in Seattle, and both leads I have on the part are in Texas. I'm not picky about new/used, but I've done an exhaustive search online and only turned up a small number of leads.

If there's a go-to place that I haven't found, please definitely let me know. I have already reached out to Holm in VT (didn't have any) and Courtier/Javel in Texas (has many), but haven't found anything close.

Thanks!

post-1559-0-38907400-1390249009_thumb.jp

Welcome to the forum Roche,

As for your dilemma - Damn! That has to suck... I can't help directly, but there are a couple places in BC that might be able to help if they had parts cars... I searched quick and N9T posted this: "Marc at Marc's Import Auto is the most knowledgeable person still around for repairs. Marc also has quite a bit of used stock left. 604 432 6636 his wife Mina manages the front office." He *might* have a spare or possibly know where to find one. Unfortunately I don't know any any other wagons being parted out.

Ukit in California - but that is likely too far away as well.

Rabin

That went about as well as expected. Marc has the glass and offered to build a crate and ship it to Seattle. I can't believe it.

One funny thing for people to acknowledge if you're seeing this in the future, be careful when doing your research. I found a brand new window in Florida this morning, but decided to shop around and get quotes. When I found that to be the cheapest option, I called back and it was sold. The glass shop told me that it was probably another one of the parts suppliers I contacted, buying it because they know it's hard to find and so they can crank up the price. The 1st glass shop would have charged me $325, but the dealer who probably bought it quoted me $500+.

Regardless, I'm happy to have found Marc. Thanks a zillion!

Sweet - that did work out well... :)

BTW - are you new to Peugeot's? Or have you owned them before?

Nice to see new owners regardless, and from your picture its a DL - auto or 5-sp?

Great cars, and you will be spoiled for both seat comfort and highway ride pretty much forever now. I've got an 86' 505 TD wagon that is being restored to be our family summer trip car. I have fond memories of road tripping with my family as a kid in monster domestic wagons - and want my girls to have cool trip memories. Can't get more memorable than a vintage Peugeot wagon!

Rabin

That's an exceptionally robust combo then if kept in good nick... Not the fastest cars, but decently economical, massive payload, and ridiculously comfortable on rough roads.

Feel free to post more pictures - not sure if you're a car guy at all - or if this is just cheap transport, but they definitely have a small but loyal following. Hopefully you can do your own work as the cars are easy to work on, and there's lots of support for repairs and such. If you pay someone to work on the car - just make sure they're good!

Rabin

Hopefully you can do your own work as the cars are easy to work on, and there's lots of support for repairs and such. If you pay someone to work on the car - just make sure they're good!

Welcome to the forum!

Just to clarify my view of what Rabin said. They are easy to work on when you know their peculiarities, of which there are many. There are great people here to ask, so with advice in hand a shade tree mechanic can keep them in good order. Many otherwise fine mechanics will fail to ask (or not know who to ask), make assumptions based on their non Peugeot experience, and make matters worse. Mechanics with Peugeot experience are few and far between, and getting fewer all the time, so for things you aren't doing yourself, you want to try to find someone with Peugeot experience and failing that, someone who is good, and not afraid to ask questions and do research.

I was actually just referring to physical access to parts for repairs, and things like the wiring having numbers on them making them easy to work on - but Dave's additions are 100% spot on.

Btw - that's a big keg - must have been a heck of a party!

Rabin