85 Peugeot 505 turbo (gas)

sirhcarillo

So I was at work and had previously tore down my 87 505 turbo 5speed and found a flat lobe on the cam over the #3 piston and I cant find parts so I scrap parts from the previous 505s Ive owned and well that made this car scrap. So I called some cash for car guys and they gave me $150 for it. And I sent my co worker in my 85 505 to meet up with the guy and get the money. Well he must of liked that boost cause he called me and said it sounds funny and smoking out of the tail pipe. So I knew blown head gasket form over boosting. So I tore the head off yall know, not fun. It blew on the #4 cylinder witch I find unusual. But thank god for having factory parts.

Welcome to the forum!

It's a bit hard to follow, and I'm a little confused...

You have more than 1 505 turbo, so when you found the bad cam in the 87, you used parts from another car to fix it - but why was it still scrap?

Now your 85' has a blown HG, but why was it over boosting? If the wastegate was good your friend could have boosted all day long?

Is the 85 back together? What kind of HG did you use? And I assume no cracks in the head? (They crack from exhaust valve seat to the water jacket)

Rabin

The 87 was only good for a few parts, and the flat lobe on the 87's cam made it scrap. And the 85's back to running. No cracks in the head this time. I had to weld a crack in the head on the #1 cylinder previously. And the 85 had a problem with the wastegate, but not anymore... Im 23 years old and absolutely love these cars.

Awesome to hear you got back on the road! Also nice to hear you do your own wrenching - that makes a huge difference on how much you end up liking these cars...

So what kind of head gasket did you go with when you reinstalled? And where did you get the head welded up the first time? It's good to here that the fix held up.

Post up some pics if you can.

Rabin

Yes I do my own wrenching I have a friend who was a Peugeot mechanic for doran Chevrolet here in dallas, so if I need a ceritin 12mm to get the turbo nuts off of the exhaust manifold or if I just cant seem to get something off I've got rge guru on the other end of the line. I have a few factory parts and I so my own welding.post-1519-0-20185600-1383580992_thumb.jppost-1519-0-87943800-1383581115_thumb.jppost-1519-0-58576000-1383581414_thumb.jppost-1519-0-21880600-1383581560_thumb.jp

Being in Texas you're extra blessed with both Rob Courtier (Javel Garage) and Madhu Chohan (Parts Network) both in Texas as well...

Did you weld your own head to fix the previous crack on #1?

Rabin

Nice parts stash! Where's you find them?

I'm hording parts like mad, and buying more whenever I can. I've had a 50 Turbo since I was your age, but that was back in ~1993! Just realised the other day I've owned Peugeot's for 25 years - ever since I was 17.

Rabin

Funny how time flies right, the parts are from other peugeots that are sadly no longer around. But if this waterpump goes out, Im doomed. Rob got me one a few years back and it was a bit over $400. So thats not gonna happen again. But my hopes are that people will start rebuilding these cars and someone open a aftermarket parts store for them. These cars can fly.

• 2 weeks later...

Yo! :) Nice to have more enthusiast's on forums :)

V-M

P.S Rabin... Is 2 turbos (Garret t25 or t17) on N9T engine proper enough :) welding new exhaust this winter ;) I have also this ball bearing "disco potato" turbo in garage but... I want some exotic build :D