Clutch replacement - removing driveshaft

TJP55

Hi, I'm new to the forum, but not new to Peugeots.

I bought my 1986 Peugeot 505 Gas Turbo new in December 1985.

I'm now in the process of replacing the clutch.

But I'm having some difficulties.

I've unbolted the torque tube from the gearbox.

I've moved the differential back as far as it will go. It can't go any further back because of a metal piece welded to the torque tube.

I have about 2 3/4 inches clearance between the gearbox and the torque tube, but I can't slide the driveshaft off the transmission output shaft.

How much force does it take to slide the driveshaft back? Do I have enough clearance.

Thanks for your help.

post-1478-0-19240700-1377036677_thumb.jp

post-1478-0-82868800-1377036690_thumb.jp

Hi TJP,

I've used channel lock pliers to grab the driveshaft, the levered the pliers off the transmission to slide the driveshaft back. Rotating the rear wheel and watching the shaft will ensure its still engaging the diff splines.

You might want to consider undoing the torque tube at the diff as well as this would be a good time to grease up the splines at both ends.

Rabin

The driveshaft did separate from the differential and was stuck on the transmission end, but I was able to move it back. The transmission is off and the old clutch removed.

So far I've only found the SPEC SG031 for a replacement. Are any OEM clutch kits still available? How does the SPEC compare to OEM clutches?

You should still be able to get Valeo clutches from one of our venders listed, but SPEC have a decent name. Nick Cota is running a SPEC clutch, but IIRC - he had to send in a used clutch for them to rebuild...

They might have stock now however. I plan on using the highest rated SPEC clutch that still has a sprung centre section on the disk, but I haven't checked into some of the other performance clutch makers to see if they can do something similar.

Rabin

I got a Valeo clutch from Western Hemispheres. It's installed and the transmission and starter are now reinstalled.

But I'm having some difficulty with the driveshaft. It moves freely in the torque tube, but will not go past the end of the torque tube at the transmission end. It's seems to be hanging up on something inside the torque tube.

You might two people - one at ech end to jiggle the shaft a little at the diff end as its likely catching there... Or try at the diff end to see if you can feed it out other end enough...

It's awkward for sure, but made easier if you secure the torque tube assembly through the hole in the floor to a piece of wood or something with a ratchet strap.

Rabin

• 1 month later...

Since replacing the clutch, there is a strange rumbling sound on acceleration coming from the rear somewhere after the transmission.

Possibly the differential.

It only happens after I have been driving on the freeway and exit to city streets.

I replaced the differential oil when I replaced the clutch.

I used Castrol Limited Slip 80W90 gear oil.

I recently added Lubeguard Limited Slip Supplement to try and get rid of the noise, but it just made things worse.

I'm not sure what's going on.

Perhaps I damaged something in the differential when I moved it during clutch replacement?

What gets me is that it only happens after I drive on the freeway.

I would check torque tube clearance to the rear subframe, as well as exhaust clearance everywhere.

Was there any metallic particles in the diff oil when drained? Was fluid right up in the diff?

Diff's are very robust if they always have gear oil in them, but if it was ran low or dry then it might be a concern - but I'd guess its something else.

Rabin

I'd be looking for things rubbing then, but then its hard to diagnose what you refer to as a strange rumbling sound...

My 86 used to have a strange rumble under certain situations and I'm quite sure it was the torque tube touching the rear crossmember.

Is it possible to post a video or an audio file?

Rabin

I checked the torque tube clearance and the exhaust clearance. Nothing was touching, but I found that an exhaust pipe clamp that I had removed during the clutch replacement was very near the torque tube. I loosened the clamp and moved it back so that it had more clearance from the torque tube. When I drove the car today, it did not make the rumbling noise. I'll have to take the car out on the freeway and see if the noise returns.

• 2 weeks later...

I have SPEC stage 3 since 2007... I think or 2006 :) I just order it from their web page and bolt on. Been there since then, nothing to complain about.

I my cases this sound is caused those rear support axle rubber "things" are loosed, usually metal worn out from rubber side. I dont find good picture right now but I bet some know what I meant.

V-M