'89 505S V6 Inner Tie Rod Ends and Alignment

Hi, Everybody,

Yes the car has new rotors. But a loose inner tie rod end was discovered.

The right side has the long (apparently correct) part. All of the threads are used up. There is no room for adjustment.

The left side was bad. There were four unused threads. The car was toed in and there's no provision for adjustment. Am I hearing this right?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bill,

Not sure exactly what you were asking, but the inner tie rods on the 2pc front suspension cars are about 40mm or so longer than the older inner tie rods, and are really hard to find. My solution for this is to make an extension out of the old inner and outer tie rod so that the shorter older style tie rod can me used.

Essentially you'd have to use the threaded section from the outer tie rod, and inserted / welded into the old tie rod sleeve such that you could still thread in the new outer tie rod into it.

It's either than - or have a new short style inner rod extended using the old tie rod. The idea above I figured would allow you to screw in the extension in the future to make it easier to replace inner tie rods in the future. If you find a source for the longer inner tie rods let me know.

Rabin