Wheel upgrade project...

Bean

I'll post detailed pictures in the next little while here. The machinist I took it to is super busy, and I told him I wasn't in a hurry... Got house renos to keep me busy for another few weeks and then they should be done and I can do a proper write up of the install.

Rabin

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The wait is getting shorter - just visited my buddy Phil that's doing the machining and the first adapter looks awesome. So he's now got the second adapter and the rear wheel flanges to mod to the BMW bolt pattern. (Complete with center bore adapter for the BMW wheels to mount properly on.)

The fronts should be pretty sweet indeed - now I need to find some nice vented BMW disks for the rear that suit, or I can just use the Peugeot disks.

Now that this getting close to completion I need to spec out the coil over stuff so that the suspension can go in! Once in I'll then have to fab up some brackets and calipers for the new disks.

So lots to do - but should be awesome once done. (Pics to follow once I get the parts back.)

Rabin

Hi Metako,

Those are nice looking wheels, but for the mods I'm doing I'll have to use 5 series wheels, those are 3 series mags and would need spacers to run on the 505 when I'm done.

My personal favorite is the OEM 2pc BBS wheel on the later 5 series BMW's style 42. It's a multispoke design but I tend to prefer the multi-spokes on body styles that aren't very eye catching. (Like the wheels I'm running on my V70R)

59303.jpg

If I can find a staggered set of these for a decent price I'd get them for sure! Keep the current Racing Dynamics 5-spoke wheels for R-Compound race tire for track fun and the BBS ones for the daily street rubber.

Rabin

BBS LM's?

If I had the cash sure - but I think the 2PC BBS take off's from a 5 series would be way better bang for th buck. Seen sets in nice shape go for $500...

Nice thing about this upgrade is that you could actually GET nice wheels! (checked tire rack though and LM's didn't show up for the 5-series BMW - but other ones do.)

Rabin

• 10 months later...

Ummm... yes.

Rear flanges have been machined to the same 5x120 pattern, BMW disks for the rear spec'd and purchased, and I have Porsche Boxter S calipers to be fitted on all four corners once I get the disks mounted.

Only thing that remains is final fitment, and then I need to get some spacers machined up to make sure it's perfect.

Only thing holding me up now is the suspension. I ruled out coil overs, and was hoping to line up some 240 springs up front and MB 190 springs out back but no luck on finding 190 springs. Might just end up doing stock suspension for now to get it as a roller before the Danielson engine arrives.

I also need to get rubber mounted on the rims so that it has something to roll on once done.

So yes - it's very close. Just need to find the time to get it together.

Rabin

• 5 months later...

Hey there

Not to be pushy but I'm still waiting, and I'm sure a lot of others are too. I would like to be first in line for a set of adaptors. I've been dreaming of the day when I can put a set of 2002 BMW M5 wheels on my Peugeot with the nice big lip on the rear, but I would have to go with a set up with 17 front 18 rear to give it the right stance of course. I believe the V6 hubs are going to be a problem.

Thanks

Bob

Actually - the project to fit the BMW parts to the 86' has been terminated, and I now want to fit the BMW wheels to my 89' 505 Turbo.

The rear set up is complete, but now I need to re-engineer the set up to to work on the ABS front end. I have a spare hub set up with strut, so once I figure that set up out I'll be fitting the big brake disks, Brembo calipers, and the 17x17.5's to the 89'.

This likely won't happen till summer though Bob. It's winter up here and it's WAY too cold out to get stuff done.

If you had the earlier suspension set up I'd sell you the swap to the BMW hubs and disks right now. Those will eventually find their way onto my 505 if I can't sell that set up.

Rabin

Actually - the project to fit the BMW parts to the 86' has been terminated, and I now want to fit the BMW wheels to my 89' 505 Turbo.

The rear set up is complete, but now I need to re-engineer the set up to to work on the ABS front end. I have a spare hub set up with strut, so once I figure that set up out I'll be fitting the big brake disks, Brembo calipers, and the 17x17.5's to the 89'.

This likely won't happen till summer though Bob. It's winter up here and it's WAY too cold out to get stuff done.

If you had the earlier suspension set up I'd sell you the swap to the BMW hubs and disks right now. Those will eventually find their way onto my 505 if I can't sell that set up.

Rabin

Hey, question for you Bean....if I were do something such as this...how do you go about buying new tires for it? when you take you car to the tire shop...how do these balance and align the car? It may sound like a stupid question...but worth asking

Hey, question for you Bean....if I were do something such as this...how do you go about buying new tires for it? when you take you car to the tire shop...how do these balance and align the car? It may sound like a stupid question...but worth asking

You buy the tires to fit the rims, and in my case the rims are 17x7.5's and I'm wanting to run 245-40-17s all around. (Pending fitment of course - they gotta fit!) As far as the alignment - the only settings for a wheel alignment on a 505 Turbo is toe in. Caster, and camber are all fixed - none of that changes with my mods.

Only thing that changes is the track - but that doesn't affect alignment at all.

Rabin

• 6 months later...

Update

Tires:

A buddy traded me 4x - 235-45-17 Dayton Daytona HR's for 24 Stella's... He owns a wheel refinishing shop, so I was able to mount the tires to rims as well... (Did that this AM)

Not the tire I would have chosen, but for $55 (cost of the beer) - I couldn't pass it up if only for ensuring proper fitment. 235's fit the 7.5" rim very nicely, and the tires have a nice stiff sidewall and it seems to have decent wear ratings. (400 A-A)

Brakes:

I picked up some cryo treated E46 M3 front rotors, and they match the cryo treated E46 328i front rotors going on the back. I put the Boxster calipers on to make sure all was good - and they're a perfect fit. 325x28's up front, 300x22's on the rear.

ABS hubs:

I contacted my machinist buddy, and I'll be taking the ABS hubs to get welded up, then to him to get machined. Plan is to turn them into the BMW bolt pattern complete with centering ring, fit 3" ARP studs, then run whatever BMW wheel spacer I need to ensure clearance of the strut. It shouldn't need to be that thick, but I won't really know how thick until I've got it assembed and can fit the wheel.

Caliper adapters:

Once I get the ABS hubs done, I can fit the brake rotors to the spindle assembly and then we can spec out the bracket needed to mount the radial mount caliper to the stock caliper mount. Lots of guys make something similar for 944's - so we'll use the same design with the specifics for using the M3 disk on the 505.

If all goes well - I should be able to assemble all four corner hub assemblies with hubs, rotors and calipers to ensure it all fits properly, then it should be a simple bolt in affair onto the 89'. I *should* be able to easily fit it in a day - and be able to test it immediately.

I am shooting for next Spring however, as there's still a lot to do to the car, and with other projects, but this one is definitely off the back burner.

Rabin