84 Turbo Diesel sleeping for 6 years..advice to start???

rickcjmc

Hi Guys,

I just hauled home an 84 GL Wagon with the T/D and an auto trans and a mere 89K orig miles. Last tags on it are 06, so its been sitting for some time. When I popped the hood, I noticed an aftermarket elec fuel pump so I can assume the factory pump may have issues. Plan on dropping the tank to clean out. Any thoughts or advice on starting one of these guys after a long hibernation? I also lack a set of keys for it, not too concerned with G/T locks, the lock cylinder ffor the tail gate is MIA, but was hoping I could get a key cut by code, just not sure where to find it. Experience tells me on a door lock cylinder but thought I would ask before I go tearing them apart.....

Welcome to the forum Rick!

Turbo diesel with an electric pump underhood? If so was it an oil burner at all? They often use lift pumps to help move the oil to the injection pump. They can also be used to increase performance if the pump was tweaked at all - I plan on installing one on mine for that reason.

Plastic tank? Should just need to be flushed really since there won't be any corrosion.

Ignition and door locks: a good lock should be able to cut keys to the lock itself if the code isn't on the lock somewhere. I had the same issue with the tailgate lock, but the code wasn't available anywhere on the cylinder or arms, and the cylinder can only be opened with the key. They also used different locks and styles so the one new one I ordered was the wrong kind and from a sedan. Happened across another trunk lock from a sedan and it had the same grooves and it did work in the tailgate lock but not a perfect fit. If you post pictures of it I got another tailgate lock with key that might work for you.

Diesels are usually great for recovering from storage since the fuel itself is oily - it preserves the guts really well. If it were me I would probably replace the fuel filter, then use Diesel Purge to prime the injection pump via the filter inputs. (A suction or transfer pump on the injection pump worked awesome to suck diesel through the pump and my car started right up)

Run a couple cans of diesel purge through it to clean it all up, and then reconnect to the cleaned tank with fresh diesel.

Good luck and keep us posted! I'm new to the diesel wagon ownership myself, so it'll be nice to have another on the site getting sorted out. :)

Rabin

First ride today, key blanks arrived on thursday, had a key by last night, backed off my trailer this afternoon, tossed all the junk left by PO, vacuumed out a gallon of water from the passanger side, air up a tire and went into town fof a fresh tank of fuel. Car ran like a charm!!!! Brakes and transmission are spot on, only real problem to overcome tomorrow is the lights are not working. I jumped the lights with a hot lead and they work, but I think the power to the switch is shorted so I may just by-pass it for now. Pretty darned pleased with it for only paying $375.

Awesome to hear Rick! Now we need pictures. :D

How was the car for rust? I got a sweet deal on mine as well - but it's pretty rusted in the rear wheel arches and quarter panels means it will be pretty pricey to sort out. It's a rare 86' with the 4sp auto so it'll be well worth the time and money to sort it out. :)

Rabin

Hey Andre, I am below Portland in a sleepy little farming community. Both my XN6 5 speed and the TD have been leaking rain water in the passanger floor, I finally realized the drain below the winshield was plugged up on both so a little wire fished down there drained them. I need to remove the grills and do a good cleaning.

Rabin, both cars have minimal rust luckily, a few reall odd places in my experience, mostly where paint has failed and the wet PNW winter rains got them but solid quaters and floors! If I get a break from the rain today, I will post some pics for you guys. I did notice running the diesel that I am losing duel at what appears to be some type of overflow tube off the top of the injection pump, but can't see where the rest is coming from. I have some cleaner in the tank and am hoping it may clear up as I hate to have to get the pump resealed.........but as a watch maker, I bet I could do it myself.........!!!!!

Cool - You don't hear many people's profession being watch maker these days, and truly a lost art. Do you have any links to the kind of work that you do? And yes - there some great resourses online detailing the process, so you should have no trouble resealing it yourself.

I had neither the time, nor the knowledge to really identify if something was wrong or worn out once it was apart so I decided it was best to get some experienced eyes to give it a going through. That - and I wanted it modified and I didn't have the first clue on how to do that. :D

Just read your list of cars... You need to post pics or links to them as well - what a fantasticly eclectic collection of cars!

Rabin

Hey Rabin, I am a mechanical engineer by trade, watch and clock repair is just a hobby of mine for the last 40 years. Can you point me in the right direction to some instructions for pump removal and installation? I know I need to get a manual but I am hoping to get started this weekend on dis-assembly. I have found some Bosch VE seal kits online, mine appears to be leaking at the distribution block seal on the end of the pump and I did see some instructions on replacement without taking the whole pump apart. Any help is always appreciated!!!!

I'll try to post some pictures here soon, I got some wierd cars and am always looking for more. We moved to the country about 2 years ago and I have a large shop and lots of land to park "projects", that and a wife who lets me do my thing!

Rick

Wow Rick - you sound like you have a car guy's nirvana happening there - sounds like an awesome place.

As for the IP rebuild one of the better sources online for resealing it is this one: http://gnarlodious.com/Vanagon/Bosch_Pump/-Rebuild You-tube vids and google searches will be a great help for getting it resealed.

My next big hurdle on my car will be getting the resealed / modified pump timed and tuned on the car... It's modified to the point that stock pump timing procedure won't apply so I think I may pony up and do the final tuning on a dyno after gettting as close as I can with a g-tech and an open road.

Rabin