"New" Peugeot 505 S Work

I recently bought a 1984 Peugeot 505 S with only 75K miles on it and I'm starting to work on it. While my dad was a mechanic, I tend to appreciate cars and let the experts work on them. While in decent shape, it looks like that the fuel system and rear break system need to be overhauled. I've already invested $700 to shore up the A/C (which works great now) and to start the fuel system replacement. Now I need to replace the rear break system down to the rotors and the mech is charging $2000+ for it, mainly for the calibers which cost $500 for the pair. We're looking at remanufactured options, but still I'm looking at a $2000+ investment to do both. Am I in over my head with this considering the value of these cars? I love driving it and the interior is rather immaculate considering the age. I love the car and enjoy driving it. Just looking for some constructive criticism as to what to do next.

The prices for getting the rear brakes sorted out is ridiculous! Call some of the venders listed on the main page (Parts Network, Javel Garage, Brian Holm ) to see if you can get something more reasonable. I know you can get kits for rebuilding them - so $500 is just plain crazy. Even rotors aren't even that bad. I would expect parts cost not to exceed $500 for everything - and the mechanic shouldn't be charging any more than 2-400 to do the work. (I may even have some used ones.) What exactly is wrong with the existing calipers anyway?

If it's just the rotors, calipers, and pads that need doing - that's 4 hours tops. The $2K estimate sounds like a serious gouging so you may want to seek out another mechanic that isn't quite so expensive.

Welcome to the forum too... :)

Rabin

The cables are 25 years old. Unless the car was a museum car they'll need replacing. (probably) Anyway, A couple of years ago I did the rear brakes completely on Paraic's 86 turbo and it only totaled some $400. Calipers, cables. I replaced everything but rotors. You need to find a mechanic who doesn't see your car as an opportunity to fund his kid's college or something.