Need windscreen washer container thingy

paraic

So I hadn't tried to use the windscreen squirter on my 88 V6 until yesterday and checked the container under the hood. It was bone dry which I thought odd but went ahead and poured some water into it.

Bad idea! All of the water came straight out and underneath the car.

Oh well. Obviously a gaping hole in the bottom.

Thus I need a new one - does anyone know how easy it is to get one, or have one for sale?

Also is there an easy way to check if the washer pump is working?

Thanks

Paraic

It's just a plastic reservoir that holds washer fluid - I'd bet it'd be an easy fix if you pulled it out and repaired it with common plastic repair stuff. Plastic welding with soldering iron and clear zip ties as the rod? Automotive GOOP adhesive would likely also work fine and not even noticeable at the bottom.

If you find a good one locally though great - but likely not worth the effort or cost to have one shipped unless it's unrepairable.

Rabin

You'll also notice that almost all 505s suffer from inadequate voltage to run the washer pump motor. If you look at your blue turbo, you'll notice that I wired the factory outout leads to a separate relay pulling power (fused) off the battery. From the stock leads you get about 11 volts after it makes it's way through the dash stalk, etc. The pump only functions at 12. Look how I did it on that car and duplicate on your V6. I just did that to my 89 turbo and like your blue car, it works perfectly. No way around doing this.

I've never thought of that - sounds like a great idea.

I'll have to do that on my 89' when I upgrade the washer spray nozzles with the ones Volvo uses. I hate the two streams out of each so went with the fan style that the Volvo has that should spray the whole windshield. Pump at max volts should ensure flows enough for them.

Rabin

I've never thought of that - sounds like a great idea.

I'll have to do that on my 89' when I upgrade the washer spray nozzles with the ones Volvo uses. I hate the two streams out of each so went with the fan style that the Volvo has that should spray the whole windshield. Pump at max volts should ensure flows enough for them.

Rabin

Well, I surprised myself and took cheap toolset in hand and went about fixing the washer bottle. Turns out the gaping hole at the bottom is in fact an outlet for what looks like an overflow, but its actullly rioght at the bottom and feeds into the fender and spills out onto the floor. This is why my attempt to fill it up went right onto the floor.

I noticed a plastic bung open on both sides lying at the bottom shelf beneath the battery and rescued it from its semi retirement location and sure enough it fits the hole but obviously doesn't stop the flow. So I got some durable plastic and wrapped it around the bung and stuck it back in. The first attempt still leaked but the second using a ziploc plastic bag held. So I put it all back and lo and behold the windscreen washer works!

I did have a few heart attack moments when I dropped the screw into the engine bay. Luckily it caught on a bed of cables and I managed to find and recover it. I also had to loosen what looks like a relay to loosen the screw that holds the bottle onto the body. Odd, but it might be doing some kind of earthing? Getting that back on was troublesome.

So all in all a very dirty but successful repair job. Not sure how long it will last, but for now I am happy with it. I can easily get it out again and do some more permanent repair if needed.

Paraic

P.S. having an iphone as a torch is very handy in an engine bay - the Flashlight app lights up the flash and does a great job.

Hi Paraic

Could you do me a favor a take some pictures of you connections to the washer bottle. Specifically the connection the the cap.

Thanks

Arun

The first one is pretty clear and is of the cap - the second with it open.

If you need a shot of the connector on the side, I have one but its a bit blurry.

Paraic

post-1071-0-95856100-1341632798_thumb.jp

post-1071-0-35792900-1341632829_thumb.jp

• 2 months later...