1982 505 problem with transmission

Hey all,

I am new not only to forums, but Peugeot as well. I am a big fan of diesels and am quickly becoming a lover of Peugeot.

I am very close to purchasing a 1982 Peugeot 505 turbo diesel with a 5 speed manual transmission, but the current owner says the "shifting fork" broke. My concern is I have not been able to find much information on the part. I am also worried if any other damage was done to the transmission when the shifting fork broke. Information any one could give me is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

Brendan

Hi Brendan - welcome to the forums...

The only common issue the transmissions have are the linkages coming apart - they come apart all the time and the car usually get's stuck in whatever gear it's in. The lever flops around though so it's easy to tell. If you verify the linkages are all connected and the shift lever is firmly stuck - then it is something in the transmission. They're dead simple to take apart - and hopefully it'd be something simple like the Cheese Eating Surrender Monkey's found. :)

Stuck in third fix

If something is actually broken inside - then it's likely going to need a good used one swapped in. They're pretty darn tough though so my money would be on it being a simple fix.

Good luck!

Rabin

Rabin,

I greatly appreciate your response, this puts my mind a little more at ease.

That blog was extremely informative and equally hilarious. It is interesting the blogger's Peugeot was stuck in third, as I forgot to mention in the earlier post so is this one.

Any more specific advice on things I should check besides the usual before purchasing it?

Thanks again,

Brendan

I read the stuck in 3rd part in the advert for the car - when you said the part of about the seller suspecting it was the shift fork I knew it was the same car.

Not sure how else to advise on the car as I don't really know what else to tell you based on your skill level. If you're experienced with VW or MB IDI diesels then it's all the same stuff. Any idea what injection pump the car has? I know the newer diesels have the Bosch VE pumps - but not sure when they got them. Otherwise the same rules apply for checking out a diesel. (IE: smoke on start up, boost, etc etc)

The rest is basic as well - but again - basic for me isn't basic for someone new to doing mechanical work.

Rabin

Hey André,

Thank you and yes, it is Sam's car in Pasadena. I personally am in Riverside and plan on going to take a look at it tomorrow (if he has the time).

Have you seen the vehicle, or have any information?

Thanks!

Rabin,

That is crazy how you all know when one of these babies goes up for sale!

Well, although I am new to mechanics my brother is a diesel mechanic for Gra-Gar (Werner Enterprises) and a pretty darn good one at that. I plan on taking him with me when I check out the car so I have an understanding of what exactly is going on. He is diesel fanatic from the huge tractors he works on at work to Cummins 12 valves to VW diesels. So I am hoping with a little bit of reading up he can comprehend what we will be looking at with the Peugeot.

As far as the injection pump, I honestly have no clue hoping my bro can figure that out.

Thank you guys for your responses, eager to get out to Pasadena and take a look!

Brendan

Sweet! With a brother like that he likely doesn't have to read anything - the XD2S that's in it (should be anyway) is a 2.3L turbo diesel that's very similar to the VW's older IDI turbo engines only better. :D (That may be a little bit biased...) It even shares the same injectors as the Mercedes and VW IDI engines.

A good diesel mech is all you need for guidance, and if he's got the tools to do a compression test on the motor that will tell you right away how good the engine is. I believe you want over 300 psi compression for no start up smoke issues and strong running.

A well set up XD2S with a 5-sp manual would be a fantastic car and with tuning - it has the potential for really decent power.

Good luck!

Rabin

brendan -- glad to hear you're nearby. i would consider it a personal favor if you would add your location to your account settings so that it will show up in your posts...

i have been meaning to go out and look at sam's car, i would really like a diesel but the SAF (spousal acceptance factor) on a second 505 project car right now is extremely low, approaching negative infinity so i would have to burn a lot of political capital to get the car. nonetheless, i was planning to take a look at it, maybe as soon as later today or tomorrow because 1) you never know, and 2) even if it is not meant to be with me and the car, maybe i can be a extra set of eyes for somebody who wants the car and who is not married to my wife.

also, for what it's worth, ukit is about 12 miles from there (do a search on this forum if you don't know who i'm talking about)...he can fix anything on that car and, more importantly, he can tell you if it's cost effective to fix the shifting problem. even if you don't end up buying this particular car, you should stop into ukit's shop and chat with him, he's a good person to know if you live in this area and you have the peugeot disease. biggrin.gif

andré

That's funny - I refer to it as marital brownie points. I've lived FAR too long of our marriage deeply in debt with a massive negative brownie points for the exact problem of acquiring multiple project cars with out having actually completing any of them fully.

This has changed recently in that I should not only be out of marital brownie point debt with all the house renos - but it has finally dawned on me that I can't save them all, and that I have to focus on getting the ones I have finished or get rid of them.

Still gotta finish house renos - but once I finish what I promised - it's time to start spending that surplus of points and getting my cars sorted out properly. Once finished - I plan on traveling with them and doing cool car events all over NA. (I can dream damn it!)

Rabin

So you guys who recognize the car, does it really have something broken inside the transmission? In the absence of evidence to the contrary, stuck in third would usually be the long linkage has popped off, and that's quite easy to see. The short linkage off would make it so you can only go between 1st and 2nd, 3rd and 4th or 5th and reverse, but not between those pairs. Which pair would depend on what position it was in when the link popped off.

The part I mentioned about the shifter lever itself being firm will cover the linkage. If the shifter is floppy it's linkage. If the shifter itself is stuck in third - I'd bet it's that pin / something internal.

Rabin

André - I believe I have now added my location (not sure though, new to this).

I understand all about that, my girlfriend isn't too keen on the idea of me purchasing a car when I am supposed to be going back east soon to visit her family (and she has no problem reminding me on a daily basis "I'll leave you behind!").

I wish that I could say with more confidence that purchasing this Peugeot were a true possibility at this very moment (it was a great possibility earlier this week), but after today I'm looking for a new place to stay. The truth of the matter is I cannot fork out the money that I thought I could, even just 4 hours ago. Now the stress of having to find an apartment for the first time in my life along with being a student and income being minimal at best... here I come further into the infernal depths of debt (Have to love the University of California system (and all it's price increases))!!! :D Enough of the sob story, life goes on unfortunately at this point it seems like it will be going on without a Peugeot.

I do thank everyone for the friendliness and information that you all have shared with me. I feel as if I may have wasted your time because I am most likely not going to be able to purchase the car now, and for that I apologize.

Thanks again,

Brendan

No worries at all Brendan.

Unless you're spending top dollars for a 1-2 condition car, you're very likely buying a car that has been neglected at least a little, to "OMG how the hell did it run". Sure you can keep them running on a shoe string budget - but ideally you'll need some resources (financial and mechanical skills/tools) if you're just getting into them and want to enjoy your ownership. A few of us enjoy the process of repair and sorting it out - but $$ adds up. Purchase price is easily eclipsed by parts alone.

So get your finances in order, get educated, and Peugeot's will be ready for ownership once you are. :) Down there you are blessed with some of the most rust free cars I've ever seen, so finding a good one and sorting it out later shouldn't be too hard.

Good luck.

Rabin

follow up:

sam's car was bought last night by marc m, it was the shift linkage, marc has fixed it already. sam is moving to france with his girlfriend, and vic and i will soon be the only peugeot owners in los angeles, besides marc. biggrin.gif

andré

PS -- kidding aside, sam told me yesterday afternoon that the gearshift was not stuck in third, but could move freely between third and neutral (which would indicate a linkage problem)...sam had been keeping the car at his mother's house in altadena, and i was nearby in glendale on business around lunchtime yesterday so i stopped by at sam's suggestion (while he was at work); sam forgot that his mother keeps the gate locked, though, so i could only look at the car through the gate from 40 feet away.smile.gif