fly wheel V6

pushgo

there's a whin coming the under carrage of my V6 sounds like its towards the area where the engine and tranny meet. Could it be the fly wheel? And my next question is, if so could it perhaps be due to the fact that transmission filter needs to be serviced I.e new filter. I've had my car in storage due to some medical stuf, I'm getting some general maintanence done to it and noticed this whinning sound upon start up.

Does the whining sound increase with revs? Is your automatic transmission fluid level OK?

Kind of tough to try and diagnose as it's still too vague of a description to come up with anything.

Usually whining will be from the PS pump, alternator, or even one of the belt tensioners. Sound travels in unusual ways so be very thorough when trying to find the source. A good test is to remove all the v-belts and start quickly to see if the sound is there - but only run it for a few seconds since the water pump won't be turning. That will eliminate all the accessories from making the noise.

Rabin

Trans fluid is full and still bass the look aid color not dirty. And if the engine revs it also increases with engine revs. however if I shut off the engine and restart it the sound goes away for a while and then slowly and very faintly returns. I don't know that I have to replace the battery. could low volts from a low charged battery be a contributing factor? My mechanic is on vacation so I'm trying to trouble shoot the issue myself

I'd check the power steering fluid level to be sure... If that's good - you're gonna need to remove/loosen the belts on the front of the motor and then fire it up to see if it stops.

Automatics only have a flex plate bolted to the crank, and then the torque converter bolts to that and it engages the transmission. No real "whining" capability in there I can think of really... The transmissions oil pump could theoretically be making the noise - but I've never heard of it making noise.

I'd eliminate everything else that rotates on the motor by disconnecting the belts, then try it. Alternators can make noise when under a lot of load as well - but this will still get eliminated if you remove the belts and start the motor for a few seconds.

I once worked on a truck and I swore the main bearings or one of the connecting rods were making a terrible grinding noise - even confirmed it with a mechanics stethoscope. Pulled the pan and checked for any issues - it looked great. Put it all back together and the noise was still there. Mechanic friend told me the trick to take the belts off to eliminate the PS pump, AC, and alternator. Engine sounded smooth as can be. Checked the components and the alternator bearing was making the noise - but due to the mounting to the block - the sound was traveling through the mounts and you would swear it was coming from the bottom end of the motor.

BTW: Make sure not to rev the car in neutral or park. I forget the specifics, but the 4HP22 could be damaged if revved while not in gear. I mostly remember to just not do it at all just to be safe.

Rabin

BTW: Make sure not to rev the car in neutral or park. I forget the specifics, but the 4HP22 could be damaged if revved while not in gear. I mostly remember to just not do it at all just to be safe.

it's a design flaw in the 4hp22, affects other cars that have the transmission -- bmws, land rovers, etc. the flow of fluid through the neutral/park transmission gets blocked when the engine is revved, which causes damage to the transmission. there's a fix for it, it's mentioned in the links in that transmission rebuild thread of rabin's from a few months back -- should be implemented when the transmission is rebuilt...

andré

I don't think anyone can make any sort of reliable estimation. Best thing you can do is to ensure the oil is kept nice and clean with regular fluid and filter changes.

I'm a big proponent of using AMSOIL universal ATF in my Volvo since it has a "delicate" transmission, and once I've flushed my 4HP22 in the wagon with fresh ATF, I'll be going with AMSOIL in that too as preventative maintenance. Heat is the biggest enemy of transmissions - so if it's really hot where you live - then you might want to get a transmission cooler installed - but that's usually not needed if you don't do any towing.

Rabin

my car has 179k miles on it with the original transmission and it's in okay shape (considering its age)...so you should have a bit of life left in yours...smile.gif

will probably have mine rebuilt within the next 20-40 thousand miles, will either take it to ukit or jessie, or send it to one of those places that specialize in zf transmissions...after the rebuild, i will probably switch to synthetic ATF...

andré