Lemons racing

ohms

so i joined a team near me - they (we, heh) run an old 4wd civic wagovan, and another topsecret car that i'll post here when its "officially" unveiled...

and that 5spd xn6 505 that i was gonna get some parts off - well, i told the team and one of the guys is gonna get it and either use it for another lemons racer or a BABE rally car....

whatever happens with the 505, i'll snap pics and post updates here!

Awesome to hear Ohms... I`m hoping to do my first Chump race in July - already got most all my gear off a buddy. Pretty sure he only wore the suit once, and it came with 2 pairs of Nomex underwear (one in packaging still), shoes, and gloves. Fits me perfect. (He tried F2000 and only did one race)

Bryan - any good advise for good SA rated lids? Any thing you can comment on regarding the next protection options? My only remaining purchase is for a good helmet, but I'll likely borrow something and hold off purchasing a HANS or whatever until I get some seat time.

I've got a higher end HJC lid for motorcycling and they fit nice, but no real world experience with SA lids.

Rabin

I'm a long time Bell helmet user. However, Bell moved their production to China in 2009 and that alone kept me from buying a new Bell when my SA1995 finally was no longer legal to use.

That leave NO USA made helmets that I know of. Impact, I won't touch with a 10 ft pole due to their faking SFI and HANS posts in 2009-2010. Simpson is made in Mexico but I've never much cared for their stuff. I like Stand 21, Sparco, Arai but they ain't cheap.

I bought a Racemark SA2005 on closeout after the SA2010's came out. Its a decent, inexpensive helmet.

So basically I'm no help.

• 6 months later...

My brother and I had to put our Peugeot LeMons project on hold due to some unforseen circumstances. My brother ended up needing ear surgery and has just recently been cleared by his doctor to return to his favorite activity--trackdays! Earlier in the summer I ended up needing an oral bone graft due to a weird jaw problem. I think we're competing with each other for weird surgeries, or to see who drives our mother batty first. Anyway, we'll hopefully get to do one of the first races of the season next year in the Pug.

Just recently some motorcycle racing buddies invited me to drive on their team at a ChumpCar 24 hour event. How could I say no? :) We used an '87 Prelude and were doing quite well until the alternator died in the 14th hour. With no spares and with it being early o'clock in rural VA, we decided to pack it up. Still, it was amazing fun. The car had more or less stock suspension, with the negative camber maxed out in the front (via slotted UCAs) and the toe zero'd out front and rear. I was concerned about needing to stiffen up the rear to make the car more prone to oversteer, but it turns out that wasn't needed; the rear of that car was very loose. :D Since there wasn't a ton of power on hand and it's front wheel drive, the loose rear made it possible to just keep your foot down except in a few parts of the track. It was brilliant!

When I bought my SA helmet a few years ago, the only thing I knew about helmets and brands was from motorcycling. I prefer Suomy and Arai, but I found an HJC AR-10 (SA-2005) helmet for a reasonable price in my size and snagged it. It's great, as far as I can tell. I used that helmet along with G-Force gloves, shoes, socks, and 3 layer Nomex suit. Their medium size suit fits me almost perfect, though it is a bit baggy in the midsection (I'm kinda skinny). For survival in the summer heat on track, we all used CoolShirts and had the pump, tank, and quick connect hoses all set up in the car.

damn, forgot i even posted this. anyway, bean, lots of the lemons guys go with Pyrotect pro airflow helmets - very light and comfortable, and affordable (relative to other helmets). no holes for hans/dfnder, but easy enough to drill holes for that