Short Shift Linkage

pushgo

By making new linkage with threaded ends and hemi joints you can adjust the position of the shift lever (closer to you or whatever).

A new shift lever would have to be fabricated, or a stock one modified to change the pivot point to make a short throw. I've thought of it as I have spare shift lever and all related parts but its low on my list.

My brother and I made a "short shifter" in his second 504. I was taking a welding class in high school - so we simply cut the arm that goes straight down and added an inch to it and welded it back up.

That shortened the throw from 1st/3rd to 2nd/4th - but Arun had to change the small horizontal arm to get the side to side throw down to match. He ended up doing some tuning on it after it was in Toronto - so I don't know the exact details on the finished mods. It was kinda notchy when we first did it - but he said it was perfect after he made some changes. (I'll try to get him to post what he did exactly.)

Basically - The key to shortening the throws though is to lengthen the shift arms slightly. A little goes a long way so don't go to far. I'd also highly recommend rebuilding it with heim joints and adjustable rods. That will allow you to place the shift pattern exactly where you want it.

This very mod is in the works for my car - but the shifter in the 89' is still really nice and tight with no slop.

Rabin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...