paint codes

I'm planning on repainting my 89 V6 and am in need of the color code its silver, but i was thinking of going with a red I had an 89 V6 parts car that was painted the nicest red, it was a darker more metalic red. I'm thinking of changing the color to that

if the parts car was an 89 and it was a darker red, it's probably rouge plaisir ("fun red" - code 1502/EJP/M0JP/M1JP) or rouge andalou ("andalusian red" code 3603/EJZ/P3JZ). first number is factory number, the one on your left strut tower.

PPG, a major automotive paint manufacturer, puts out color chip cards with many oem colors (including peugeot)...tcpglobal, an internet seller of paint supplies, has scans of the PPG cards available online. here's the peugeot page for 1989, the "regular" red that year was italian red (aka rouge vallelunga).

i am also going to repaint my car this summer, the original color (bleu glacier, "glacier blue", 1477). are you planning to replace the body seals --- doors, trunk, sunroof, etc.? what color is your interior?

andre

edit - of course, you could go another way completely -- get your car "dubai'd out" (as opposed to having it "murdered out") :D

peugeot code is 1476

PPG chart lists color as claret red; unfortunately, none of the PPG charts seem to have a sample. the color is also known as rouge amarylis ('amaryllis red" code 1476/676). for those of you who don't know, amaryllis is a flowering plant, i know b/c my wife grows them. claret is a better name for a color on a french car, imho, b/c claret is a red wine from bordeaux. :)

apparently the color was offered b/w 1979 & 1983, which means your car was from the last year that color was offered, rob. as someone who lived through that period, i can tell you that the burgundy/red colors were considered somewhat stylish back then. my next-door-neighbor got a 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass, two-tone in burgundy and tan. i'll just give you time to picture that in your mind, let it sink in... ;)

CSB time -- around that time a very popular girl in my high school (beautiful, from a wealthy family) got a car no one had ever seen before, a bmw 320i. it was a color she called "bittersweet," which i think was actually chestnut, with gold pinstripes. pinstripes were very big in the late 70's/early 80's, see every peugeot 505 ever. :D it had wheels from a company called "bbs," they had silver barrels with gold centers...

andre

Hahaha so I've heard.

I hear stories from my relatives of how my dad literally thought he was the coolest guy in town because of his brand new Claret Peugeot. :lol:

320i you say? I found this picture from my parents wedding (yeah way before my time) with the two family cars at the time....cool story brah

3337492126_a65278fa1a_b.jpg

Lol and now new BMW, same old Peugeot :D

2583444306_3d9dcbed08_o.jpg

Dear God Andre - I thought I had too much useless Peugeot info in my head! You're at a whole 'notha level. :) Sweet info though - so thanks for posting all the paint info and the cool story.

As for the colour swap to red - I picture the car with the sweet wheel you picked up and think it would look spectacular in red. It'd have to be pretty thorough so that you couldn't tell it had been changed, but even that isn't very hard to do well.

Rabin

the interior of the car is maroon soo thinking about it i dunno if red is such a good choice i did how ever put in the dark gray leather seats the interior is absolutely beautiful that way. I might just stick with silver it seems to go well with the wheels

post-370-0-27352500-1306185958_thumb.jpg

those are beautiful wheels, they'd look good with any color. staying with the original color would certainly be easier than a complete color change. silver is sort of an iconic color on 505s, the cars look really good in silver so i think a lot of people got them that way. still looks great, though.

if you wanted to go with a different look, you could go with the two-tone option that was popular in europe, it was for the hotter turbos in the mid-80s. there were two different color schemes, silver/gray and glacier blue/gray. i think the gray was "winchester gray," i can double-check if you are interested & give you the codes. below is a pic from toni lindroos' site, peugeot505.info:

505_1984_turbo_002.jpg

as i mentioned earlier, the paint code is under the hood on the left strut tower, here's a picture of mine (if you squint you can make out "1477," glacier blue). yes, those are my fingers holding the hood release cable out of the way:

48c594f7.jpg

andre

ps - rob, in the picture of the french stx, what is that small round thing on the RR quarter panel (below the antenna & fuel flap)?

crap, just re-read your original post and it looks like you wanted the code for silver: 1399. in french, color is known as "argent gris" or "argenté gris" -- this is a subtle difference, as "argent gris" means "money gray" (as in silver coins) and "argenté gris" means "silver gray." the "money gray" was used in '85 & '86, the silver gray was used '87-'89. i think the silver gray uses a modified color code of 1399:83...the same color, though. not sure why silver gray uses the "83" modifier -- pretty sure that color was available for peugeots in '83 (was it the year that particular shade was introduced?), haven't seen that it was offered on the 505s that year...one of the many mysteries that needs researchin'. :)

btw, "argent" comes from the latin argentum, i.e. silver. this is why silver has a chemical symbol of "ag" on the periodic table. whatever you call it, a beautiful color.

andre

Andre - The only thing(s) off the top of my head that this could be:

something having to do with an LPG tank?

mount for an aftermarket antenna?

lol, I was wondering the same thing.

I was speaking to the owner a while back, he said that it was shipped back to the motherland from Tennessee I think..

oh and yes, I believe that's the same silver that came on the 1983 505 Silver Edition, Limited Edition model.

woah I didn't realize peugeot had so many different colors of silver. You got me lost. I painted over my paint code when I painted the engine bay oops. I thought they were all one silver all the ones i've owned have been faded haha

I think a nice option would be to change the silver to something more modern - say a newer BMW silver? Makes it way easier to blend, and they look fantastic - so a bit of a modern touch that's ever so subtle.

We left keeping our cars stock LONG ago - so may as well upgrade the paint as well. :)

Rabin

woah I didn't realize peugeot had so many different colors of silver. You got me lost. I painted over my paint code when I painted the engine bay oops. I thought they were all one silver all the ones i've owned have been faded haha

pretty sure they are the same silver -- they just called it by different names (and different codes) in different years...

Rob -- if that car was imported into the US, then brought back to europe, an lpg tank makes sense. during the 80s, lpg conversion was one easy way that euro-spec cars could be brought into compliance with US emissions. one of the more notable folks doing this was bill fink of isis imports, the longtime san francisco morgan importer.

andre

i think the retractable antenna was an option on the high-line 505s in europe -- i seem to remember reading that on a european forum a while back. note the euro bumpers on that car, it's a lot easier to add the antenna than those bumpers, just ask fernando... :D

that charcoal gray is a beautiful color...

andre

Lol actually yeah its an original US model, that was sent back to Europe from Tennessee ( i think).

Note the euro models have the fuel tank filler on the leftside, and US sedans have them on the right side.

Also, I think the owner (Djamel), used aftermarket side marker deletes (common in the e30 game) on his us spec 89 bumpers.

But yeah, Andre is right: retractable antennas were optional in Europe, and are pretty common to see in Holland.

interesting I didn't know they had an option for a retractable antenna haha too bad that car still isn't here. I might just go with a silver thats just a bit darker so I won't have to paint the door jams and because I have the charcoal seats