Where is the speaker for warnings placed?

Sushi

hi, sushi, welcome to the forum. from the looks of the car in your avatar picture, you seem to be outside of the US/Canada. where are you from?

i'm not sure if the speech synthesizer was ever offered in the US -- maybe some other forum members will know. however, i seem to remember reading in a technical description that the speech synthesizer was hooked up to the two front speakers in the kick panels (sometimes called "scuttle panels") -- you know, the ones down near your feet.

hope this helps.

andre

hi, sushi, welcome to the forum. from the looks of the car in your avatar picture, you seem to be outside of the US/Canada. where are you from?

i'm not sure if the speech synthesizer was ever offered in the US -- maybe some other forum members will know. however, i seem to remember reading in a technical description that the speech synthesizer was hooked up to the two front speakers in the kick panels (sometimes called "scuttle panels") -- you know, the ones down near your feet.

hope this helps.

andre

Thank you!

Well i made a little research and it goes through the computer to the speakers (according to a youtube guy).But when i try my test button its quiet. I've also changed my speakers and noticed three wires on the old ones, the new ones got + and ground (it didnt work before the speakerchange before ofc.). So now i got a new problem where can i find the computer. I dont trust my electric schedule it really isn't the right one.

Car spec: 1988 N9tea Eurospec (swedish imported (prob. with eng lang))

double-checked, the speech synthesizer was only offered in europe; maybe some of our european forum members have more detailed knowledge on this issue...

i found the technical description i referred to earlier; i uploaded it to a website of mine, sent you a private message (pm) with the url to download it. the way in which the speech synthesizer is connected to the other systems in the car looks pretty complicated, it looks like there are many points at which the system could fail! good luck in tracking down this problem...

would love to see pictures of your car when you get a chance to post (especially the engine!)

andre

searching for the controllerunit i suspect it is behind the mid fans i've tracked the wire from the left speaker to the small speaker above dashboard where it is split and goes back to the cablenest under the steeringwheel. From there it gets really hard following the wires.

Thanks but that's the schedule/manual i got the numbers isnt right. for example the speakerwires is 211j 211 211e IRL on driverside. On the right it is 212e 212j and 212. and on the paper it's 221 and smth not readable and 220 sth on the other side.

well, i know from the manual that in the original setup, the speaker wires from the radio go to the speech synthesizer unit. if the speech synthesizer needs to issue a warning -- and thus, needs to use the speakers -- it cuts off the output from the radio and sends a "dummy" impedance to the radio, then it uses the speakers and everything reverts back to normal.

i have an electrical manual for the us models -- where the speech synthesizer was not offered -- and the 211 wires are what we use for the driver's side speaker, they come off of the back of the radio. is it possible that your audio system was worked on at some point in the past? if the speech synthesizer system was not working (or not desired), and the radio and/or speakers were replaced, it's possible that what you actually have is a "hybrid" system...a lot can happen in 23 years, after all.

i'm just guessing, though. other than that, i got nothin'. :)

andre

well, i know from the manual that in the original setup, the speaker wires from the radio go to the speech synthesizer unit. if the speech synthesizer needs to issue a warning -- and thus, needs to use the speakers -- it cuts off the output from the radio and sends a "dummy" impedance to the radio, then it uses the speakers and everything reverts back to normal.

i have an electrical manual for the us models -- where the speech synthesizer was not offered -- and the 211 wires are what we use for the driver's side speaker, they come off of the back of the radio. is it possible that your audio system was worked on at some point in the past? if the speech synthesizer system was not working (or not desired), and the radio and/or speakers were replaced, it's possible that what you actually have is a "hybrid" system...a lot can happen in 23 years, after all.

i'm just guessing, though. other than that, i got nothin'. :)

andre

Probably it worked before i got the car. (It was an old man who owned it since 1992) The last 6-7 years it has been resting in a barn so he don't remembered a thing. It was really old 15rms speakers and a tape radio when i got it last year so i decided to get new stuff. When the old radio was removed i discovered 4 cut wires i have no idea what they were used for...

So the third wire in the door are used for the synteziser maybe was a capacitator between 2 of them?! because that made me a little confuzed when connecting the new speaker with only 2 wires.

btw i will put up some more pictures on the car later. My camera is broken for the moment

it's possible that those cut wires lead back to the speech synthesizer...again, just guessing

i'm still amazed that your car was sitting in a barn! that's a pretty hot car, just to be wasting away somewhere like that! you should go check the barn again, see if the old man has any ferraris or porsches hidden away there :D

look forward to seeing the pictures

andre

it's possible that those cut wires lead back to the speech synthesizer...again, just guessing

i'm still amazed that your car was sitting in a barn! that's a pretty hot car, just to be wasting away somewhere like that! you should go check the barn again, see if the old man has any ferraris or porsches hidden away there :D

look forward to seeing the pictures

andre

Yeah i have still hard to believe it myself that an 80year old man had my dreamcar. In Sweden a total of 46 n9tea was imported. I've watched our "ebay" (blocket) for one n9tea for 4 years and the car i bought was the second one i saw, so its not only rare here i think its unique. It was painted with 5 layers of "clear coat paint?!" (dont know the word and too lazy to search for it :P) got it for just 1000euro thats really cheap. But i got oilleaks in the header gaskets because was boiling this summer thanks to the bad grounds. But i just found a new header so i got a spare one.

Got alu pipes today from a friend so after im done with the syntheziser i will frontmount my new (old) 9000IC

Yeah i have still hard to believe it myself that an 80year old man had my dreamcar. In Sweden a total of 46 n9tea was imported. I've watched our "ebay" (blocket) for one n9tea for 4 years and the car i bought was the second one i saw, so its not only rare here i think its unique. It was painted with 5 layers of "clear coat paint?!" (dont know the word and too lazy to search for it :P) got it for just 1000euro thats really cheap. But i got oilleaks in the header gaskets because was boiling this summer thanks to the bad grounds. But i just found a new header so i got a spare one.

Got alu pipes today from a friend so after im done with the syntheziser i will frontmount my new (old) 9000IC

oopsie double post

Actually i fell in love with the 505 in africa (senegal) in 2005, when riding a ordinary one. It had so comfy backseat so i decided to get one. Still smiling everytime i sit in it.

Välkommen!

Great with one more member from Sweden. :)

The speech synthesizer unit is located in a carpet "bag" under the passenger seat.

Regarding the trouble shooting I have no advise at this moment, but hopefully you will sort at least something out now that you know where it's located.

I have a 1988 N9TEA too. I had a look at both the kick panel speakers and the main unit when I did some job on the interior a couple of years ago, but I can't remember anything about wiring and such. And taking pictures for future use was of course beyond my intelligence ...

But anyway, feel free to ask if you come up with any further questions about wiring etc., and I'll try to answer as far as possible.

In Sweden a total of 46 n9tea was imported.

Actually, there was around 100 of them sold in Sweden 1988, but only about 46 of them are still in the register (i.e. not scrapped).

Regards,

Alex

Välkommen!

Great with one more member from Sweden. :)

The speech synthesizer unit is located in a carpet "bag" under the passenger seat.

Regarding the trouble shooting I have no advise at this moment, but hopefully you will sort at least something out now that you know where it's located.

I have a 1988 N9TEA too. I had a look at both the kick panel speakers and the main unit when I did some job on the interior a couple of years ago, but I can't remember anything about wiring and such. And taking pictures for future use was of course beyond my intelligence ...

But anyway, feel free to ask if you come up with any further questions about wiring etc., and I'll try to answer as far as possible.

Actually, there was around 100 of them sold in Sweden 1988, but only about 46 of them are still in the register (i.e. not scrapped).

Regards,

Alex

Okey but there cant be many n9tea left (179hp), that runs on the street. N9TE is pretty common though (I have seen 1 IRL :P). There was 2 n9tea on blocket until just days ago one is still left +spare car. So I thought of getting a BE driverslicense to get them home because they aint streetlegal but runs. Maybe i can take my licenseplates and ride it home.. Hehe :P

well i think i'll go for a trip to the garage to check it out.

TY FYI!

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

sorry for the slow reply, vjeko, i was waiting for the board to get back to normal.

the n9te technical description document lists the voice synthesizer languages as follows:

french - french overseas territories, belgium, holland

german - germany, austria

english - denmark, norway, finland

the owners' manuals and the technical description documents don't describe any method for changing the language of the voice warnings -- i take this to mean that peugeot did not consider this to be a "user" adjustable setting. don't know if it's possible to change the language as a "service" (i.e., mechanic) setting, as the electrical workshop manuals i have are for the north american cars, which did not have the voice synthesizer. you might have better luck looking at the european electrical workshop manuals, or checking the french or dutch forums to see if anyone has "hacked" the voice synthesizer module to change the language.

the other possibility is that the different language versions of the voice module are discrete -- that is to say, they are identical hardware with different language firmware instead of a single unit containing the language superset, with a language "switch" that can be flipped for different language versions, in *that* case, you'd have to swap out the unit or change the firmware to get a different language...changing the firmware would be a pretty sophisticated hack, one i'd enjoy seeing.... :D you could look into this by seeing if the different language versions of the voice synthesizer module have different part numbers...i'm pretty sure they do, but if you found that the voice synthesizer module had only one part number for every language, that would imply that all languages were installed into every unit...

good luck!

andré

that's good to know about the different part numbers, thanks for posting that!

you are probably right, it makes the most sense to have one unit with the superset of languages installed -- especially given the time when this stuff was new (80's), it's hard to imagine peugeot expecting dealer service departments to flash a rom unit back in those days...

please let us know what you find when you open the unit, i'm keen to see how this turns out. if you are able to take pictures, that would be even better... :)

andré

ps -- fixed your image link so pic would show up in the post, syntax was a little off...

This speaking computer is from Austrian Turbo injection year 1986. and its location is under the front passanger seat.

There are two connectors; the smallone 8 pin connector is for the speakers in/out left and right(when the warning message is need to be sent the computer mute the radio/CD/USB music till the message ends the computer regain the radio/CD/USB music). The large 20 pin connector is for +12 volt, ground and switch sensors.

There are two voices;

-female voice-for easy warnings: (seat belt fasten!, release the parking breake!, the door is open!, refuel!...

-male voice-for serious warnings: (battery charge is not normal!, oil level low, oil pressure not normal, brake wear!, water temperature!...

g1q0v89lnkgrwhw88na_thumb.jpg

tgaz8en1zs9vkzw5on9z_thumb.jpg

zemmksrjwgzpz1ln9kx_thumb.jpg

u93dgd80shyo56hrk9fu_thumb.jpg

g832zdsu8xdwesxxstro_thumb.jpg

4030cp1ysd82dfc25a7p_thumb.jpg

fdmtbo2nia5mmrzpu6bk_thumb.jpg

90ah0156gppcykf90sz_thumb.jpg

fm3tx1em9v2e80hsagfq_thumb.jpg

9fi7nx7ii15plfslecu_thumb.jpg

I suspect on 1MOhm resistor (brown/black/green/gold) in right down corner on his solder position holes between two chips but I am not sure. I have to see some another computer with another language to compare where are the difference.

rybv9spmkqmyqftpb_thumb.jpg

Speaker relay it connects/disconect music and insert the message. You can instal strong audio system with amplifire and the computer wouldn't harm because music goes through mechanical contacts.

k7giqsqvkjr8itlk2mu_thumb.jpg

azmt1q99hn5wfkrwfjp_thumb.jpg

3s4tfqslsdl7aqmxk3a8_thumb.jpg

I found some MK1 Turbo speech synthesizer on the youtube and this is how it sounds:

that's good to know about the different part numbers, thanks for posting that!

you are probably right, it makes the most sense to have one unit with the superset of languages installed -- especially given the time when this stuff was new (80's), it's hard to imagine peugeot expecting dealer service departments to flash a rom unit back in those days...

please let us know what you find when you open the unit, i'm keen to see how this turns out. if you are able to take pictures, that would be even better... :)

andré

ps -- fixed your image link so pic would show up in the post, syntax was a little off...

Thanks for fixing @andrethx :)

I'll let you know if I figure out something.

Tomorow I'll put new last two bord pictures because are not sharp.

I have added new pictures in old post.

@Sushi, have you checked speaker wires are they original because if someone before you connected the speakers directly to the radio with aftermarket wires, the message can't be sent because if you can see on previous post the speaker wires has to go througt computer relay where the computer insert the message through the relay.

And please can you open the computer and take some pictures to see the difference between your English and my German PCB?

this is great info, vjeko, thanks for posting it! sushi hasn't been on the forum for a while, i sent him a pm to let him know about this discussion. he's in sweden so i believe his unit has the warnings in english (as you note in your post).

btw, you mentioned that your unit has the warnings in german -- which language do you want to change it to, french or english? where are you located?

andré

I want to change in English but I want to know also how to change to French. I want to know everything. :)

I understend English and German but not French.

I forgot to say that this computer also have automaticaly adjustable volume because the same wire signal for RPM gauge goes also to PCB, so the more impulses from ignition coil the louder PCB voice.

Some other cars has ajustable loudness voice depending on speed. More speed causes more noise in the car.

I am located in southeast Europe socalled Balkan. Country Croatia.

• 2 weeks later...

Im back! :) I've put this on ice. I actually got 3 pcbs 1 french and 2 english all works but not in the ordinary car. I have tried them all.. The speaker wires goes through the pcb havent tried to measure the voltages yet. I can hear the relay clicking in the box but nothing comes from my speakers.

@Vjeko Ok i will take some pics on them.

I think its grounding my signal somewhere