question about rear swingarms

andrethx

i've heard from a number of sources that the rear swingarms on 505s have a tendency to rust, so they are an important item to check out when one is evaluating the condition of a car. so I have two questions:

post-773-1297284220.jpg

i've marked up a diagram of the 505 rear suspension (from 1979 press pack on toni's site). the parts that i'm pointing to with the red arrows -- those are the swingarms, correct?

also, how much variance are there in these parts with respect to models and years? i.e., will swingarms from any 505 fit any other 505?

thanks,

andre

Yes, those are the swing arms. As far as I know all 505's were the same, but I'm sure there is someone more qualified than I to shed more light and info.

I'm baffled as to how they'd rust/corrode before other less heavy metal parts of the car? I'd think that if your swing arms had rusted badly the body they are connected too might not have much left for you to sit in and drive! :)

They are hollow cast for one thing, and they rust where the two eyelid bushing are. The forward part of the arm, where they attach to the rear subframe. That is the weakest link for as there is 1/4 per side of the car stress weight on one control arm .

Swing arm is AKA the rear control arm

505's control arm have all the same part # 517503 left side, 517504 right side

Though STI have a different # 517507, 517508.?

Don't know what the difference is but something small probably like the mounting for the brakes or alignment may have alittle more toe.

But they're interchangeable

Picture002.jpg

Thanks for the info, guys...this is very helpful.

I went out to Dubarr a few weeks ago and met & talked with Jessie. The issue with the swingarms rusting is one of the things he told me about 505s. He said that when people call him looking for parts, it's frequently for the swingarms b/c they rust so badly -- especially if the callers are from the east coast. Jessie said he's seen cars that had swingarms that were so badly rusted that the spring mounts broke and the springs went through the bottom of the swingarm unit! "That's why you want a California car," he said, "...less rust."

Andre

• 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi randy! do you mean the one i posted? it's here, it's from the 1979 press pack, from when the 505 was first introduced. the second pick is from the parts fiche, i have some pdf copies i can share with you the next time we meet up.

still need to make those carpet templates. :)

andre