All the way from Paris, France !

Hi there !

Fond of Peugeot 505 since many years, I've just found an SW8 turbo in France...and bought it ! That's why I'm here, as you have more of those cars than us ! I know only 5 in Europe !

As I've been driving only diesel Peugeot since now, I need to learn about petrol and turbo...and also about special US things, like headlights (I need to find some new ones !) or...I don't realy know yet ! ...and looking for good deals to get specific parts...

I'm part of the french 505 Peugeot club http://club505.forumpro.fr and you must know that we often go to your forum to find pictures and informations. Please come and visit us too !!!

I'm going to fetch my new 505 this week end, I'll send you pictures when I get it.

I must also tell you that our club is going to rebuilt some air hoses (from air meter to turbo) for N9TE engines...if any of you are interested, please contact me !

...and if you want come to France to France sometime, please feel very welcome !

I lived once in America, about 25 years ago, in Memphis Tn !! But my english is quite poor now, excuse faults and wrong spells...

Hey! I've seen you over at club505.fr! Great site. I try to routinely cruise it.

Your English is pretty good and you don't have to worry. It is much better than any of our user's French. I took 4 years of French in school and have tried to pick it up. However, it's a very difficult language for us. I hear Spanish, Chinese and Vietnamese every day, but never Français!

You and everybody from club505.fr are most welcome here.

Are you guys trying to duplicate the factory effort with the turbo to AFM hose or something "more modern" with off-the-shelf bits: http://tinyurl.com/3axa4pz ?

Feel free to browse and post at will. We really love to hear from people who come from where our cars came from. A couple of questions for you:

1. Peugeot seems to have made the 505 "disappear" from nearly all references. Are they now ashamed of their last rear-wheel drive car? Sometimes our cars feel like one of Stalin's lieutenants being air-brushed our of official pictures after being murdered in their sleep. :)

2. What do you guys (club505 members) think of Citröens and other French cars? Most North American owners like Citröens. Renaults, less so.

3. Is there an on-line French or British dealer that is willing to ship to North America? It would be nice to look up part numbers, buy Peugeot Boutique merchandise, etc.

4. Every few years there is a rumor that Peugeot will come back to America. If you were a betting man, what would you put the likelihood of that happening? The sad array of car choices we have is truly depressing!

Keep making awesome French cars and cute girls!

istockphoto_7360251-french-girl.jpg

Outstanding car of yours! Feel free to flood us with pictures. There can never be enough 505 pictures.

Welcome Familyman!

I too have followed your posts in particular - you've had some AMAZING adventures in Peugeot's and I'm truly envious of some of your incredible road trips...

It's funny that you have just gotten into Petrol 505 Turbo's leaving diesels, and I have had petrol turbo's for years and have just purchased my first 505 TD wagon this past summer. :) I think we can learn very much from each other... :)

As for the AFM to turbo pipe - I still have a few spares - one being almost brand new / NOS. I've read other threads on getting other parts remade though so please keep us up to date on any other potential parts runs that may be considered. I've pretty much given up on using Peugeot parts and try to replace with readily available parts supplies wherever possible. We have a new thread just started by Tama on his engine build using Saab connecting rods with Saab bearings, and Volvo pistons for instance. Something like that would be a huge asset for keeping our engines running strong for a LONG time without breaking the bank.

Also - please take note of the Vendor section on the forum should you need to source parts. I've had incredible luck with Madhu at Parts Network, and Rob at Garage Courtier. I've also heard great things from guys using Brian Holm - I've just not had the opportunity to personally use him though.

BTW - your headlight dilemma sounds easy - find some biode 505 euro lights... :) (Grass is always greener though I guess, and USDM headlights probably look different / desireable there just like the Euro lights look better here.

Rabin

Hi everybody i

thanx for your answers !

...I'll try to answer to questions...

- even in France 505 is not recognized as a collector's car, and parts are difficult to find...our proble is also that all the dead ones go to Africa, so used parts are also very rare !

- we are to proud of Peugeot to enjoy others...it's sort of a game for us to be "100%" peugeot, but we don't like so much ather french cars...even if we're are sensible to people who also collect 80's...to us - it's a principle ! - Peugeot must be the best !

- I don't know anyone sending pieces to America...

- I don't have any idea of what Peugeot will do in foreign coutries for the next years...our automobile industry is not going better than yours for the moment ! Though I've heard about 206 or 407 runing in america, but obviously no real american project for french builders !

- yes, we want to rebuild the exact same hose as Peugeot for the turbo - we need to be a few to reserve it, so please tell other members !

- thanx for the names of the reliable parts sellers...I might look for frontlights...if anyone is interested for an exchange (new European lights against new american ones...) please let me know !

- Bean, for sure we can deal good hints about diesel and petrol...I just need to perfecct my technical english for that ! One thing though....diesel is a slow thing, smelly and tasty, strong and easy-to-fix (no electronics !)... I fell in love with it travelling along in Africa...in our "modern" (?) countries it's another trip...slow motion and big noise ! anyway that XD3TE engine is just great : can run thousand miles before death !

...to finish I love the idea that american and french lovers of the 505 get together ! This car has been made to be worldwide, so let's do it !

- thanx for the names of the reliable parts sellers...I might look for frontlights...if anyone is interested for an exchange (new European lights against new american ones...) please let me know !

- Bean, for sure we can deal good hints about diesel and petrol...I just need to perfecct my technical english for that ! One thing though....diesel is a slow thing, smelly and tasty, strong and easy-to-fix (no electronics !)... I fell in love with it travelling along in Africa...in our "modern" (?) countries it's another trip...slow motion and big noise ! anyway that XD3TE engine is just great : can run thousand miles before death !

...to finish I love the idea that american and french lovers of the 505 get together ! This car has been made to be worldwide, so let's do it !

Finding NOS US lights might be quite hard to find - but worth checking out. I've got some on my 85 that were replaced after an accident in the 90's that are better - but not really perfect.

As for the diesel - sadly we didn't get the intercooled XD3T, but the 86 I have is the only year North America got the XD3T with the 4sp auto tranny - so it's quite rare. Biggest thing for me and this car is the potential fuel economy... When bringing the car back (8 hours on the highway) un-tuned with a loose injection pump it still got 6.88L/100km! I've researched some tuning tricks for the injection pump - so hoping the power will be decent - but ultimate fuel economy is my goal. Saskatchewan is HUGE - so even seeing family means 4 hour highway trips - and I can't imagine a better summer family car... :)

Rabin

• 3 weeks later...

Hey ! I've brought the SW8 back in town !! Feel so good ! Had troubles with the turbo, dead from cooling water staying too long in the circuit as the car was not running. I had whole in it ! So I had to change it before driving the car...and also change front break pads and rear drums, break hoses and cylinder, also leaking for being too long unused. Cars are sure made to drive, not to sleep !!

But then it felt just great to drive this beautiful car ! I've had many Peugeot, but never one like that....smooth, silent, powerful, fast...tremendous !

I still have to find 2 headlights...and I'd realy prefer to put on US ones, just as the origin...so if you have any idea where to find it, I'm interested ! I need badly driver's side (mine's dead) and more likely both. I've tryed to write/call Brian Holm, but mail failed and phone does not answer. Parts Network doesn't have it and I'm not sure to get much of Garage Courtier's website... I found that : do you think it's reliable ?

http://theserviceadvisor.com/part/headlamp...t/505items.html

http://www.carbodyparts.net/peugeot-505-headlights.html

Also we soon are going to rebuilt the turbo air hoses for N9TE...so if anyone of you is interested, tell me NOW !!

Here's a picture of the beast...we have our annual 505 meeting in Bretagne next week, I'll send you more pictures then !!

p1020417.jpg

BEAUTIFUL car!

As for your headlights - if the plastic surround is not broken in any way I would suggest using one of the many plastic headlight refinishing kits. Many have luck with a very light sanding to get rid of the yellowing, then polish or clear coat the plastic to get the nice bright clear look again.

If the actual headlight is shot - I would replace with some nice e-code Cibie, Bosch, Hella, or Marshal 5x7 rectangular light. They are a very common USDM headlight - only the plastic surround is specific to the 505.

If that is still unclear - please post a picture of the damage so we are clear on what needs replacing.

As for driving a gas turbo - they really are fantastic cars! Glad to hear you were able to sort out the issues from it's long sleep, and can now enjoy it!

Rabin

thanx for your answer Rabin !! All clear !! So I just have to find a regular sealed beam, as my plastic surrounds are OK (one is a little yellowed, but I sure can clean that).

ouf ! bonne nouvelle ! merci !

I also got in touch with Brian Holm, who's probably gonna send me some used specific US parts...looks like he's got a lot !!

I would stay away from the US style "sealed beam" halogens as they are VERY poor lights.

Instead I would recommend this site for lighting: www.danielsternlighting.com

Cibie H4 headlamps—

200mm × 142mm (7.9” × 5.5”)

H4 high/low beam: $74.95/eaH4 high/low beam, with parking light: $75.95/ea

Regulatory compliance: ECE (European E-Code); SAE M

A quick search found some Hella versions as well - but I think some Cibie lights would be much more Peugeot appropriate. :)

AutoPal makes some lower cost units (made in India) and they are fantastic value as well:

AuotPal e-bay auction

All of those will offer SUBSTANTIAL improvements on the old sealed beam type headligts that were stock on these cars.

Good luck!

Rabin