AC Quit.

Several years ago the high pressure line, just inches from the pump burst. I made a new line a short tine ago and evacuated the system, holds vacuum indefinitely. Added oil and R12, cooling was good 37º everything seemed OK, but the clutch did have a bit of a wherrr noise that was not there before. Yesterday the AC didn't work, clutch does not engage, the electric fan that came on when the AC was selected does not come on ether.

All fuses are good, I'm asking where I should start looking for my problem?

1983 505 turbo diesel 110000 miles runs great, 36 MPG never blown head gasket.

I'm not familiar with the AC system, but Peugeot used relays to control everything so I'd trace the wiring back to see if any relays are involved.

You can test individual components by applying 12V directly too the components to verify functionality - so the clutch on the compressor and the fan would be easy to verify as functional.

My guess is a relay or a grounding issue is at fault.

Rabin

Try by-passing the high pressure switch located on the line returning from the fire wall. It's mounted on a rectangle shapped fitting. If it works by putting a jumper wire between the contacts from the wiring harness the pressure switch could be stuck and dirty. Which means draining the system and starting over. You can do a jumper lead from the battery to the red wire power supply on the clutch of the compressor too check it's operation. Basic trouble shooting.

Jeff

Thanks for the suggestions, I think the compressor is OK, I am thinking electrical, sense both the clutch and fan quit.

Will test the HP cutout, does this switch cut the 12 vdc to the clutch? Also the fan? Interesting the high pressure switch is in the low pressure line. I didn't know where it was physically located will be easy to test. The switch would be NC and open if high pressure occurs? If this switch brakes the 12 vdc to clutch and if there is 12 v there then the clutch is loosing it's 12v between the HP switch and clutch.

When I charged the system I didn't know the quantities, oil and R12 but a friend had 4 oz. oil written in his manual but didn't know on the R12. I put almost 4 oz. oil and 2lb 9oz R12 and sight gauge showed full.

Any comments are appreciated.

One more thing to check; (Ooops) There is a AC relay next to the radiator drivers side and the AC evaporator canister. Should be a green colored one. If you follow the wiring from the AC electric cooling fan you will find it. May have dirty connections. Your car may have another one similar to it in the same location.

Jeff

I by-passed the high pressure switch (which by the way is in the high pressure line) and the auxiliary fan came on but the compressor clutch didn't. I applied 12v to the connector at the compressor cut-out relay and the clutch pulled in but the wire started smoking and sparking where the wire was secured to the compressor body and had chafed the insulation. I repaired the short but it didn't fix the problem. No clutch voltage with the high pressure bypassed and AC on with engine running.

So I'm still looking.

Thanks, Paul

• 4 weeks later...

Conclusion: It seems that the good fairy fixed it.

I checked the three relays Jeff suggested, cleaned the contacts, applied 12 v and checked the contact resistance, they all checked out good. compared my high pressure switch with one I know is good, static condition is (open) so mine is fine, but the clutch still wouldn't activate.

Later in the week we decided to drive to the beach to beat the heat here in the valley, so I reassembled everything and headed for Long Beach Wa. on the way I wanted some fresh air and I moved the selector from off to ventilation (third position from bottom) and as I went through the two AC positions I felt the clutch kick in. I have no ida what was wrong, but I'll not look a gift horse in the mouth, hope it lasts.

Thanks, Paul